Razer Kraken 7.1 or Astro A50?

BenEzz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hey everyone, i am wondering which headset i should get, for gaming and 7.1 surround sound (which both have) is it better to get the kraken or the a40's?

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I have a Roccat Kave and I think it was a mistake. I like them but for the money I believe that gaming headphones might be a gimmick.

EDIT: Out of the two I would probably say the Astro A40's.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I also ordered a Roccave Kave 5.1 last week. True 5.1 that connects to my sound card, awesome reviews, much love.

Also, if you've got money to WASTE on a set of expensive wireless headphones, why not buy sennheiser? Suggestion is PC 363D. You won't regret it.

rundotcmd

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I wouldn't go for anything that doesn't connect via an optical output or 7.1 audio jacks. If it's connecting via usb then it is just a virtual surround that is using digital surround decoding. There are only a select few headsets that actually have true 7.1 connections for soundcards. I would recommend the Razer Tiamat 7.1 as they are the least expensive in my opinion and you get more out of it. Each driver can be adjusted and speakers systems can be hooked up to a pass through so they can still easily be used. Anything without actual surround jacks or optical digital connections won't be true surround.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
After using my Roccat Kave 5.1 for a week, I find them very comfortable, very well built and verily formidable in gaming. They are good for movies, but cannot beat a 20$ Pioneer stereo headset in terms of pure sound quality when it comes to music. That is to be expected, considering it's a 5.1 headset, and considering that, the Roccat Kave is very good, much better than I expected. You don't even need much adjusting with the equalizer, if any adjusting at all.

Note that Roccat has just released the newer version, which is a bit improved but mostly the same.

Scibbo

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago.
it will come down to what sort of gamplay you are after eg. bf4 cod mmorpg or moba as an example.

I ended going with the Kraken 7.1 because i am more of a MOBA gamer.
The 7.1 virtual sound still works really well with BF4 but not as crisp as the a50.

I find the kraken to be the most confortable headset on the market and pretty light. this was a big selling point for me.
Astros can be more heavy and can pinch a bit afer long periods of gameplay.
It will come down to ur gaming preference. Both are good headsets. Choose for the type of gamplay ur after.