RCA 7" Voyager Tablet 6.0 -- max size SD card? Format problem

SundanceSailor

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I just received the 2 RCA tablets I purchased:

- RCA 7" Voyager (Marshmallow Android 6.0) RCT6873W42, and
- RCA 7" Voyager Pro (Marshmallow Android 6.0) RCT6873W42KC

On RCAs Help page https://rcaav.com/faq_support/what-is-the-maximum-sd-memory-i-can-use-on-my-tablet-rct6873w42/ it says:
-- What is the maximum SD memory I can use on my tablet?
----> The maximum storage capacity for an SD card is 128 Gigabytes, class 10 or higher SD card (Preferably Sandisk). Be sure to format your SD card.

It also states 128GB in the user manual (page 13).

Using a new 64GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 microSDXC card, I had nothing but problems. First it told me the card was corrupt. I turned tablet off and on and no error. With Settings, it showed how much available space on card and acted normal. When I tried to "format as internal", it showed 20% then after awhile an error message quickly flashed on the screen. It now said the card was corrupt. I reformatted as a portable card which was successful. I tried again to format as internal and had same results. I tried another new 64GB card and I tried to format it as the non-portable, internal-type card. It said 20% and after awhile it said it couldn't erase contents.

The next day I tried the same thing on my new RCA Voyager Pro (keyboard). Same results. I tested both cards in my ASUS tablet and they worked, no problem.

I then tried a 32GB SDHC card that I have been using in a camera in the Voyager Pro and that worked.

The maximum capacity for SDHC cards is 32GB so, it is safe to assume that when they state 128GB that SDXC cards are compatible.

RCA states that it can use up to 128GB so why not either of my new 64GB (SanDisk and Sony) ???

I've contacted support and the reply I received yesterday did not answer my questions. She told me to format my card and that you cannot have apps on SD cards. She then referred me to a YouTube video about using SD cards for Android 4.2. Totally useless.

Any comments will be appreciated. Especially from someone with experience of these RCA tablets.

Thanks!
Sheila

Solution
Well, first, you are using an Ultra Class SDXC card that which may not actually be compatible. I would really suggest you try a just normal card. Sadly sometimes the tech they use in the devices isn't able to keep up with better or higher capacity SD cards. I have run into this issue before.

In regard to making the card able to handle running apps, well she is and isn't right. Android "Marshmallow" is capable of doing that, however some manufacturers have restricted this option on their devices, even if they are running "Marshmallow". Here are the instructions on how to make a card "Internal" storage (which is what is needed for the apps to work on it). If they have restricted this option, once you have the right card of course, then...
Well, first, you are using an Ultra Class SDXC card that which may not actually be compatible. I would really suggest you try a just normal card. Sadly sometimes the tech they use in the devices isn't able to keep up with better or higher capacity SD cards. I have run into this issue before.

In regard to making the card able to handle running apps, well she is and isn't right. Android "Marshmallow" is capable of doing that, however some manufacturers have restricted this option on their devices, even if they are running "Marshmallow". Here are the instructions on how to make a card "Internal" storage (which is what is needed for the apps to work on it). If they have restricted this option, once you have the right card of course, then you won't be able to use these instructions/find the options.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution