Solved! Rce plugin help

watersashleigh

Estimable
Jul 8, 2018
Can someone please tell me what an Rce Plugin is? I'm not very tech savvy, so if you can, please explain to me in easy language. When I go into my files on my Samsung Galaxy S5, under download history there's 10 things where the image part is blank that say rce plugin and when I click on one it says "Cannot open file-the file was deleted, removed, or renamed". Then there's 11 that say Rce Plugin, but in the image part, it's a blue box with an underlined green down arrow . When I click on these ones it says "All apps associated with this action have been turned off, blocked or not installed." What are these and do I need them or should I delete them?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Solution
RCE stands for "Remote Code Execution". Sounds like you got yourself some unfriendly stuff on the phone. Virus, malware, bad app, etc. It happens.

Try running good deep scans for both viruses and malware (they often require different programs/apps). Should that not resolve the problem, then you may want to consider a "Hard Reset" of the phone. Just be sure you wish to do so beforehand, as that wipes the device completely and returns it to its status when it was original sold. Doing the version of a reset that keeps your personal stuff won't help, as that can easily leave the problem on the device.

Should you choose to do the "Hard Reset", the instructions are below.

NOTE: If you do the "Hard Reset" and then reinstall the same apps...
RCE stands for "Remote Code Execution". Sounds like you got yourself some unfriendly stuff on the phone. Virus, malware, bad app, etc. It happens.

Try running good deep scans for both viruses and malware (they often require different programs/apps). Should that not resolve the problem, then you may want to consider a "Hard Reset" of the phone. Just be sure you wish to do so beforehand, as that wipes the device completely and returns it to its status when it was original sold. Doing the version of a reset that keeps your personal stuff won't help, as that can easily leave the problem on the device.

NOTE: If you do the "Hard Reset" and then reinstall the same apps and or files that caused this in the first place, then it will happen again, so I would be careful about what you download/install. Even legit apps, that seem harmless, can start installing other apps (or worse) without your permission.

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the phone...

1. Make sure that the phone is actually powered off.

2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.

3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option.

6. When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

7. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

8. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

9. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the phone.

10. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.

Solution

watersashleigh

Estimable
Jul 8, 2018

NOTE: If you do the "Hard Reset" and then reinstall the same apps and or files that caused this in the first place, then it will happen again, so I would be careful about what you download/install. Even legit apps, that seem harmless, can start installing other apps (or worse) without your permission.

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the phone...

1. Make sure that the phone is actually powered off.

2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.

3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option.

6. When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

7. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

8. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

9. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the phone.

10. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.
Thank you webworkings. Now, one more question if I may: Any suggestions on programs/apps to use to run these virus and malware scans, preferably free? Or do they all cost money? I have no clue about this stuff, except I do know on my phone (Samsung Galaxy s5)that there's a built in smart manager that has Device Security, and it always says device is safe, and there's also Lookout on my phone and it always says the apps are safe, but I'm assuming those 2 things are quite good enough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of ones you can use on the phone (apps). Most of the free computer ones have free Android ones. For that I would just suggest looking. Just make sure you look for Antivirus and Spyware ones. Usually they do not come together, or they don't come 'free' together.

Many computer programs (some of which are free) also have the ability to check your phone (when connected to the computer via USB cord). So that is another option, as there are many of those that are also free.