re: cracked screen in a samsung hd flat screen tv

reble

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
I found this Samsung HD 26" flat screen tv model # un32eh4003c next to the dumpster in my apt complex. When I powered up the tv I found a crack like a small rock hit it and lines in the screen going every were. See the picture in this Dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdp55r0wcpzp089/cracked%20screen.jpg?dl=0 I found out that the tv was made in 2012. I am just looking for input as to whether the tv is worth buying a replacment screen and remote (there was no remote control with it) for it.

Stece

Solution
To smorizo the link https://www.partstore.com/Model/Samsung/Samsung/UN32EH4... is dead.
To SBMfromLA and fixxxer113 I am a retired tv tech. I stopped working for a living around 1989 when I started having micro hand tremors. I couldn't hold the soldering iron still any more and I was screwing up to many pc boards. I try to keep my hand in it as a hobby. Some days my hands are steady as a rock and other days, well.... I keep my eye out for things that are a simple fix. To many people throw away things that they think are broken and not repairable when it is really a simple fix. And I am thinking along the same lines as you guys as far as not sinking any money into that Samsung tv. I figured I would just get a 2nd opinion. I will...
any unv remote will work with it. on the tv you have to take the tv apart. with the power off there be a few screws on the back holding the case together. you need to look at the screen itself for a service part number and then google it to see the cost of the screen itself.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The LCD panel, if you are able to find one, will probably cost more than buying a new TV of the same size. I sometimes replace laptop LCD panels and even at those sizes it's only worth it if the laptop is relatively new and has not lost a lot of its value.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Short Answer: Nope

Reason: First of all that model is a 32" TV... a replacement screen that size would probably run a couple of hundred... at least... plus the cost of a replacement remote would cost about another $50. That's pretty much the cost of buying that TV new. Another thing to consider is... although the TV powered up... you have no idea about any other damage that may be inside. What if you did pay money to have it repaired.. only to find out something else is wrong or does goes wrong. Also, there could be some electrical problem within the TV itself that could cause a fire.

Others may disagree with me... but in this case I believe it's best to just put that TV out to pasture. If you don't mind a used TV, I recommend you use the money you would have otherwise paid to have it repaired... to simply search for a used TV on Craigslist.

reble

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
To smorizo the link https://www.partstore.com/Model/Samsung/Samsung/UN32EH4... is dead.
To SBMfromLA and fixxxer113 I am a retired tv tech. I stopped working for a living around 1989 when I started having micro hand tremors. I couldn't hold the soldering iron still any more and I was screwing up to many pc boards. I try to keep my hand in it as a hobby. Some days my hands are steady as a rock and other days, well.... I keep my eye out for things that are a simple fix. To many people throw away things that they think are broken and not repairable when it is really a simple fix. And I am thinking along the same lines as you guys as far as not sinking any money into that Samsung tv. I figured I would just get a 2nd opinion. I will probably just strip it down and throw the screws, nuts and washers in my nuts and bolts tin. Use a bit of duck tape to hold the shell together and take it out in the back 40 somewares and fill it full of lead. If u get my meaning ;-) hehe.

Steve

Solution