Ready to get into VR, what headset is ideal for my goal?

striker2237

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
So I have waited for a while now to see how the two main platforms develop and have decided it's a good time to get a headset. My goal is really just to use the headset as a screen if that makes sense, I have no interest in motion controls or room space features.

The most important/critical thing for me would be the ability to play non-VR games while effectively using the headset as a screen, up to this point I have been using a triple wide setup so I am used to a level of annoyance getting things to work correctly. As of now I am leaning toward the Rift since it seems to be able to meet my goals without the extra stuff you need to pay for with the Vive, I am assuming visual quality and compatibly is the same between the two?

So what would be my best option?

Solution
Running non-VR games on a VR headset is technically possible, but for the most part not a good experience.

You can either use VR injection to sort of hack in rudimentary VR support, but that's janky, or you can simply play on a virtual monitor in a virtual space. Which is pretty lame, by the way.

Technically the higher resolution of the Windows MR headsets might be better for this kind of use than either Rift or Vive.

Sakkura

Distinguished
Running non-VR games on a VR headset is technically possible, but for the most part not a good experience.

You can either use VR injection to sort of hack in rudimentary VR support, but that's janky, or you can simply play on a virtual monitor in a virtual space. Which is pretty lame, by the way.

Technically the higher resolution of the Windows MR headsets might be better for this kind of use than either Rift or Vive.

Solution