Dashrendar0226

Estimable
May 2, 2014
Hey Guys,

I've been looking for a while now (more than a year) for a laptop that would be perfect for me, but there's always something and maybe you guys could have suggestions. I'm looking for a entertainment/gaming/college laptop preferably under 2000$ shiped to Canada, J7C 4W7. I want a looker, something really pretty like the Razer Blade, Lenovo Y50, MSI GS70 etc. Basicly anything ALUMINUM. Want decent graphics, at least a GTX 860m. 16 GB of RAM. A GREAT screen (preferably 17in) and SSD. Note that I would probably customize it with XoticPC. Now, what I've checked:

Razer Blade Pro with the 765m: The cheapest I could find was a refurbished 512gb model for 1800 not shipped on ebay. Kinda expensice considering the specs and not brand new. Also SwitchBlade UI is just a toy.

Any Clevo or Sager: They... just don't look good enough...

MSI GS70 Stealth Pro: Got to around 2300$ not shipped, expensive for specs and gets hot/noisy.

MSI GS70 Stealth: Depending on the price, 765m might but not enough.

Lenovo Y50 4K: a great looker but 4K screen is capped at 48fps and I'm worried the screen is bad.

Please guys, I really need help. It's for college really really soon and I can't decide...

Solution
If you want the aluminum look as well as the construction quality/feel, look into the N550JK as well. That might be more viable to you than the G550JK (they're nearly identical as far as the hardware is concerned).

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I've got some bad news for you, brother - a cool looking laptop isn't going to get you laid :) And you're going to spend a lot more time looking at the screen and what's on it then you ever will the outer case. At that price point, you're much better off focusing your budget on the internals, in which case you're best bet is going to be a Sager that is optimized to your budget and performance needs. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is. Good luck!

Dashrendar0226

Estimable
May 2, 2014

You're right, I figured that out myself. I'm going with a Asus RoG G550JK I think. Thanks !

G

To each their own, but I'd rather have power than looks. Anyway, I'd suggest MSI if you like red, their laptops are well-priced, well-built, have a nice red-ish look and have good perfomance (generally as it depends on the model). The only bad thing I could say about MSI is that many people complain about overheating, so you'll probably need a cooler.

Dashrendar0226

Estimable
May 2, 2014

Hi,

I faced the same problem trying to buy a custom one. The rep told me only few units were sent before the production was halted. Fortunately for me, they seem to be available here.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-g550jk-intel-core-ca-98211-1349.htm

G

100% agree, you could get an 880m or even double 870m/860m with that budget