Solved! Really weird battery issue

Sep 20, 2018
So i recently got a new laptop and i noticed that i was getting alot less fps than i should, so i first i thought it was the power management options but its not, secondly i thought it might be a driver issue and its not. I figured out what it is when ingame i unplugged then replugged in my charger, as soon as i did that my fps went up to 300 (used to be 60) for about 20 seconds, then went back to the normal 60. does anyone have any idea of what is going on here? thanks.

Solution
Well, you should have mentioned that from the beginning.
Most laptops need from 65w to 90w. The minimum I have seen on laptops is 35w charger for under-powered netbooks.
Sep 20, 2018

the laptop is a $800 hp "gaming" laptop with a gtx 1050. also the game is extremely easy to run(its csgo at the lowest possible settings and resolution) I also cant play fortnite at lowest res and settings because i get 20fps

jojesa

Distinguished

Well, that's not it.
Check if there are any BIOS updates, it could be a bug.

Sep 20, 2018

no bios updates. also there is no way for me to do anything in bios due to this motherboard not supporting advanced mode

Sep 20, 2018
this is all pointing to a bad battery, might have to send back to HP. I ran a battery check and this is what i got

HP service is not installed. CeementBatteryCheckResult: 12 DevicesSupported: 0 DeviceCount: 0

carlover8090

Great
Jul 20, 2018

If you still have the warranty, time to use it, take it to an 'authorized' HP service centre near you and find out the cause...
Best Of Luck

Sep 20, 2018

i would really prefer to fix this myself, are you sure there isnt a way?

jojesa

Distinguished

What's the laptop model number?
There could be a way to fix it, but first we need to find out what's causing it.
It could be a faulty hardware, so If I were you I would contact HP before the warranty runs out.

So it happens when on battery and also when plugged?
Check the temperatures while gaming since it could be thermal throttling.
Also, it could be power throttling.
Use Intel XTU app to check if there is any of those issues.

sizzling

Distinguished
When in game and the FPS drop is it urging the dedicated gpu or the integrated gpu? You can monitor usage to see this. It sounds like it’s switching to integrated. I agree about contacting HP, if a battery or other hardware issue we won’t be able to fix it and you are just delaying getting it sorted.

Sep 20, 2018

Hp pavillion 15 gaming cx-00000 checking the utility will get back to you

I have my laptop charged to 100% with ac cord still in, power throttling is flickering on and off just with basic chrome usage. is this certainly a bad battery?

Sep 20, 2018

there where no other problems in XTU while playing games, no thermal throttling ext. Only power throttling

Sep 20, 2018

looks like its the ac adapter... took out the battery and kept the ac adapter plugged in and got same power throttling issue

jojesa

Distinguished

That may not have anything to do with the AC adapter.
Power throttle limit could have been set by the laptop manufacturer. If they set a limit, lets say 15w, when your laptop goes above that limit it power throttles
Power throttle is also a feature of Windows 10 and like many of its features it does not work as it should.

You could try changing the power settings using Intel XTU
Under Advance Tuning, go to Core and slide the Turbo Boost Short Power Max to match the Turbo Boost Power Max value and click the Apply button.
This will reduce power throttling significantly and it will increase performance.

Sep 20, 2018

I already tried that, its set to 45 as default and 90 as turbo :) this charger isnt the one they sent me and i just found out its an 11 wat charger. I also disabled power throttle in windows settings. I dont get power throttle with using battery alone