Realtek HD Audio refuses to change from speaker output to headset

Greenmachine83

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

I'm writing to you as I've run out of ideas. I've searched many forums and none have an answer for my problem.

When I plug in my headset in the front panel of my new desktop, it detects that I've plugged in a headset. The issue is that after I choose the headset, the software says it's a speaker, and the sound is not amplified for my headset.

I've tried:

- more reboots than I can count
- uninstalling, updating and reinstalling the driver 3 times
- changing the settings from AC97 to HD front panel on both the software and in the BIOS in all possible configurations
- unplugging my rear speakers completely to stop the interfering with the headset
- trying each and every possible mix of settings (not many to choose from mind you) in the advanced settings.
- trying different headsets

Nothing makes the sound come out properly from my headset. It comes out tinny as it thinks it's a speaker and not a headset.

I've now spent over 3 hours on this issue and I need help.

Set-up:

MB: ASUS Z170 Deluxe
Realtek version: 6.0.1.8036

Solution
If you are using the Realtek Audio Manager you need to disable front panel jack detection. There's a little wrench in the lower right to change it.

This was the only way I could get to switch from speakers to headphones. I have to switch it back and forth each time. It's a pain, but it does work.

KnurledNut

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
If you are using the Realtek Audio Manager you need to disable front panel jack detection. There's a little wrench in the lower right to change it.

This was the only way I could get to switch from speakers to headphones. I have to switch it back and forth each time. It's a pain, but it does work.

Solution