Reboot and Select proper Boot device

RakoonBerry

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I've been using my ASUS laptop for almost two years now with no problems. Today, I tried to open it and got a black screen with the aforementioned error. My OS is Windows 10. I tried to look on the internet and found this guide :https://www.deskdecode.com/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-explained/

I got as far as solution 3, command 6. I wasn't able to change my partition to an active one. No clue what to do.

Solution
On the link, did you alter boot order after solution 1? Solution No. #1 – Fixing Boot Setting as while that advice is fine for computers running Win 7, the Windows Boot Manager option is best choice for Windows 10. Scary guide called the Master Boot Record, the Master Boot Recode - not sure I like Solution 3 either as making anything other than the EFI partition the active one can also break windows.

So hdd appears in BIOS?

Do you have a win 10 installer? if not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Boot from the installer and try this:
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair -...

Lutfij

Splendid
Model/SKU for your Asus laptop? Are you on the latest BIOS for your laptop's motherboard? Can you get into BIOS? If so you might want to see what the primary boot device for your laptop is. It should ideally be Windows Boot Manger.

RakoonBerry

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

Asus GL502VT. I'm not sure about that. I can get into the BIOS. It was Windows Boot Manager but I changed it to my hard drive to test it out, as the guide said.

Colif

Distinguished
On the link, did you alter boot order after solution 1? Solution No. #1 – Fixing Boot Setting as while that advice is fine for computers running Win 7, the Windows Boot Manager option is best choice for Windows 10. Scary guide called the Master Boot Record, the Master Boot Recode - not sure I like Solution 3 either as making anything other than the EFI partition the active one can also break windows.

So hdd appears in BIOS?

Do you have a win 10 installer? if not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Boot from the installer and try this:
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

Solution

Lutfij

Splendid
I opened that guide while answering this thread and shut it down immediately since the things mentioned in it are applicable for Windows 7. Doing anything fishy, as you've stated Colif, just breaks the OS.

With all said and done if all options are exhausted, OP will need to reinstall OS.