Recently bought an ASUS G75vw-ah71 laptop.

Wildcat67

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Intel Core i7-3610QM Quad-core 2.3GHz Processor
8 GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX 660M
750 GB 7200 RPM drive

I was wondering whether I should upgrade the RAM to 16 GB or to get a SSD and add that in addition to the current drive as there are two slots.

Which would provide the better performance boost? I am not too concerned with boot speed and more concerned with just general ability to run application quickly and smoothly.

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Running apps is as fast as it can get with your setup now since 8GB is plenty of ram for all uses apart from rendering editing very large files. You would see quicker load times and startup with a SSD but application performance is still driven by CPU and GPU for handling graphics.

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Running apps is as fast as it can get with your setup now since 8GB is plenty of ram for all uses apart from rendering editing very large files. You would see quicker load times and startup with a SSD but application performance is still driven by CPU and GPU for handling graphics.

Wildcat67

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Ok thanks for the replies. But that leads me to another question. In order to get the performance boost from an SSD would I need to have all applications and the operating system installed on that drive? Or just the OS? Or could I just save the applications on that drive and get a performance boost?

Wildcat67

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

So I could just put my applications and games on the SSD, but I wouldn't need to install the operating system on there since that will only really increase the boot speed which I am not too concerned with. Then I could just use the other drive to store pictures, videos, and documents.

Is my reasoning correct here?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AG95 Laptop Tech Support 5
Devalishious Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 5
M Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 1