Recomend a laptop

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
1. What is your budget?
A: Rs. 45000 to 50000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
A: Any size will do, bigger the better.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
A: 1366*768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A: desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?
A: Not important. 1 hour should be enough.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
A: Not a hardcore gamer. I play old games like Sims2, Diablo2, NFS Carbon, FIFA 2007, Cricket 2007, Age of empires 3, Rise of nations, Age of mythology, etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
A: Some basic photo editing (photoshop, gimp), coding (Visual Studio), watching movies, MP3s, browsing the internet, pretty basic stuff.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
A: 500GB to 1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
A: Not really. I'll probably get it from a computer store, i can turn it on, test it for 15 minutes, make sure everything is working, and then get it. I don't want to get a computer that won't turn on right out of the box, happened to me, fortunately it was a dirt-cheap netbook, and i didn't really need it, it was an extra i could carry around, and i didn't mind waiting for 7 days while they replaced it.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A: As long as possible. 5 years minimum.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
A: DVD writer, but not that important. I have an external USB DVD burner.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Brands I like:
A: 1>Dell. I worked for Dell tech support (back then we used tools called edellserv, DSN, and kTrack), but don't work with them any more. I like Dell because I know how important customer satisfaction was when I worked there. Our team leader would tell us-"do whatever you can, go out of your script, if the things you were taught in your training are not working for a customer-then forget about your training and do your best to make him/her happy. If nothing works, arrange for a system exchange and give your customer a new computer. We don't care about what little money we lose in a system exchange, but we care about customer satisfaction. If the customer is satisfied, he will come back to us."
Assuming this is still the way things work at DellTS, the support should be great.

2>Asus: I don't have anything Asus, but I asked about laptops in various forums, and most people are recommending an Asus. Most people cannot be wrong, so I guess Asus is good.

Brands I don't like:
1>HP: I have an HP laptop, it wasn't really a cheap $300 laptop when I purchased it, it was $700 (I lived in USA back then). And it has broken so many damn times. Every piece of hardware has fallen apart in the last 3.5 years. It sucks. Of course ONE computer doesn't really paint a picture for the quality of the brand as a whole, but if I can I would like to avoid HP this time.

13. What country do you live in?
A: India.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed
A: .
1>The laptop should not break easily. I don't want stellar performance and warp speeds, but I want a quality build, using quality internals, that won't fail 5 times in 3 years.
2>I will dual boot with openSUSE. So I want something that won't have lots of problems with Linux. I don't want a Laptop with Linux pre-installed (and definitely don't want Ubuntu). I want it with Windows 8.1, and I want to install openSuse on it myself, in a second partition.

So there you go, I answered all the questions in the Laptop Buyers FAQ thread, please suggest me a laptop :)
UPDATE: RAM: I would like 8GB of RAM. If the notebook doesn't have 8GB at the time of purchase, it should have free slots so I can pop in more RAM sticks.

Sanjay Srivastava

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
its rude to ask but may i know why are you wishing for an intel ?
why do you want to spend more money if have a good option in lesser money?

if you want .,.,. you can add an extra ssd in g505s and make things snappier,.,.,.,.+5000-10000 rs

i own this laptop and it can run watchdogs at 720p med-high settings at over 30+fps

and fyi .,.,.,.37000rs g505s has a8 5550mwhereas a10 5750m version is for 40000 inr+ on flipkart
make sure you select the model with 3GB GDDR3 dedicated graphics

with a 350gb ssd + hard drive caddy + a10 5750m + 3.2gb grafix.,.,.,., g505s is worth 45000 INR

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
I've never really used a computer without an Intel CPU. I'd like to stick with Intel.
Call it a personal preference, some people will always purchase Nike shoes instead of Reebok, not like Reebok is bad - they just want what they want :)
Gaming is not a primary requirement, I'll use it mostly for writing C++ code & watching videos.
Another requirement is it should be capable of running openSuse. (it's mentioned in the requirement list I posted).
Nevertheless, If my budget permits, I'd like one with a dedicated graphics card, in case I want to play some game some time..
If you don't mind, could you please suggest an Intel based computer? Thanks for your help bro :)