Recommendation for a programming laptop

earandap

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
I am looking to buy a laptop that is designed for programming. I have Sager NP8658-S currently with the following specifications:

15.6" 1920X1080 IPS LED Anti-Glare G-Sync
6th Gen Intel Skylake Core i7-6820HK
nVidia GTX980M 8GB GDDR5
16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC17000
256GB M.2 SSD SATA III

Also I am building an desktop for gaming so i want to replace my laptop with another that i will use for programming only. I'm looking for anyone with similar specifications, but no dedicated graphics card.

I take a look to https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP3245.html but i'm no sure if a Core i7 7500U will be enough for my daily tasks (Java programming with a dockerized environment).

I have not defined budget but i do not want waste money with dedicated graphics card for non-use.

Thanks for taking your time reading and any help would be much appreciated. Please link any laptop suggestions.

Thanks Eduardo.

Solution
let me try to answer.

There is no fix rule of laptop specification for programming. Everything depends on what programs you use for programming. My suggestion is to look at the CPU, and RAM usage in your current notebook while you doing your programming work, so you have some kind of guide of how much resources you need.

If in your current i7 CPU reads 0-20% usage, u could settle for lower like i3 or i5 for the new laptop, but if it reach above 30% usage while, maybe u should get laptop with i5 at minimum. as for RAM it is more simple, just see how much it takes space in your current 16GB, let say it only takes space only 0-6GB and you can settle for 8GB of RAM, but if its more than 6GB usage, search for 16GB RAM notebook.
An SSD...

Frumentius

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
let me try to answer.

There is no fix rule of laptop specification for programming. Everything depends on what programs you use for programming. My suggestion is to look at the CPU, and RAM usage in your current notebook while you doing your programming work, so you have some kind of guide of how much resources you need.

If in your current i7 CPU reads 0-20% usage, u could settle for lower like i3 or i5 for the new laptop, but if it reach above 30% usage while, maybe u should get laptop with i5 at minimum. as for RAM it is more simple, just see how much it takes space in your current 16GB, let say it only takes space only 0-6GB and you can settle for 8GB of RAM, but if its more than 6GB usage, search for 16GB RAM notebook.
An SSD would be great added value, no need for dedicated graphic.

As for brand; Hp, lenovo, ASus, or Acer would be good value for money.

Solution