Recommendations for a student tablet

raeldrikp

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Hi,

I would really like it if you guys could recommend me a tablet (Android/Windows 8) for a uni student. I'm in Canada (therefore prices are different and Ebay outlet stores don't necessarily ship), looking to spend about 500-600. I thought about laptops, or cheap ultrabooks but meh.
Right now Im deciding between
1. Asus VivoTab Smart +transleeve and BT keyboard ($599)
2. Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 + keyboard dock ($680)
3. Nexus 10 + dock ($600)

Im a bit impatient, so I cant really wait till oct/nov when refreshes might occur. Gonna suck that i might miss out on the haswell refreshes. Would really appreciate any recommendations.

Solution
Tablets are worthless for a student UNLESS you also have a desktop or laptop. If it's between a laptop, that will actually let you be a student, and a tablet, that is worthless for school work, especially with Android or windows RT... Its a no brainer to get a laptop

SNA3

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Dont get any Tablet without Digitizer Pen , it makes alot of difference .

If you want Atom Based Tablet go for True Winddows 8 Tablets and NOT Windows 8 RT ...

avoid Andriod Tablets , they are not worth it ...

The two best ATOM based windows 8 Tablets are the

Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 , and the Samsung Ativ Tab 5
make sure to pick the Digitizer model.

The i3 ulv Samsung ativ smart pc pro can be found cheap on some stores if you find it cheap get it.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Acer has an official eBay page and you can buy a refurbished i3 tablet for less than $600. Quite a steal. My bro got a refurbished ultra book from Acer that way and if I didn't know better I would have thought that it was brand new because of the condition and packaging. Highly recommend going that route as the i3 will destroy any atom tablet

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Tablets are worthless for a student UNLESS you also have a desktop or laptop. If it's between a laptop, that will actually let you be a student, and a tablet, that is worthless for school work, especially with Android or windows RT... Its a no brainer to get a laptop

Solution