Recommended head phones

tamethegamer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
I'm looking at headphones for gaming.
No budget here, just early research and speculation!
What good featuresshould I be looking for/what should I avoid.

Any recommendations?

Solution
You can attach a V-moda BoomPro Mic to any (or almost any), headphones with a removable 3.5mm cable. Talking about V-Moda, if you like a slightly bass-heavy sound, the M-80 and M-100 headphones are really nice. These wouldn't be good if you're looking for neutral sound though. The B&W P7, the Sennheiser Momentums are great, the akg k550 as well, the philips fidelios M1 too. (These are in a decreasing price order.)

tamethegamer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

I wasn't looking for an exact pair as of yet- that's why I said I wasn't interested in the price.

Thank you for the recomendations!

i would suggest taking a look at the "types of headphones" section of my headphone guide (click headphones in my signature) to get a good idea of the types available. sorry, i dont have the rest of the guide complete yet.

i would also suggest googling for "tomshardware ssddx headphone headset" or using the forum search here for "ssddx headphone headset" to read some of the past threads i've responded to as that will help you out immensely.

as i always suggest... you will want to let us know the following:

-what are all uses for the headphones?
-if you listen to music, what kinds?
-if you have a soundcard and which one?
-if you do not have a soundcard are you open to buying one or an external dac?
-do you need virtual surround sound or is stereo fine?
-what sound profile do you enjoy most (ie more treble, more bass, neutral sounding, v-shape)?
-do open or closed headphones suite you better (see my guide for info)?
-do you want a mic, if so a desk mic or something like a modmic?

in general a short list of ones below $200 to be familiar with:

hd558
hd598
ath-m50
ad700x
ad900x
dt770
dt880
dt990

there of course more that i did not list... but these ones are common and there is lots of information available as well as comparision information from actual users who have used both if you search.

i can tell you what route to look at if you answer the questions above.

also available are some headsets such as the mmx300 or pc363d however you can build something close with a modmic and headphone set for $100 less than the premium charged for these which is why i typically do not recommend them despite them being quite excellent (minus the very lean bass response)

tamethegamer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for the fantastic feedback! Sorry it has been a few days, I've been real busy as I''ve just built my first PC.
To answer your questions:

-what are all uses for the headphones?
#Just gaming, watching movies/videos, listening to all types of music, skype calls etc. Used for when I want to be private or quiet in the house. As much as I would like to, I won't be taking these headphones out of the house. I have apple earphones for that.

-if you listen to music, what kinds?
#Pop, rock including classical rock, punk, metal, dubstep, country, rap. I'm no audiophile, I'm not looking for the best sounding headphones, man one minute I could be listening to Katy Perry then the next, it's Rammstein lol. I'll need one with a microphone attachment, and a flexible bendy one if possible

-if you have a soundcard and which one?
#I have no soundcard and am not interested in buying one.

-do you need virtual surround sound or is stereo fine?
#I need to research what these mean. If it means the headphones produce sound digitally or by having small stereos to make the sound, I'm not fussed. Will virtual sound headphones cost more than stereo ones?

-what sound profile do you enjoy most (ie more treble, more bass, neutral sounding, v-shape)?
#I need to research what these mean.

-do open or closed headphones suite you better (see my guide for info)?
#I need to think about this one. On one hand closed headphones seem the best for a great immersive sound and have noise isolation (which is good if out of the house or on the bus etc. but they won't go out). On the other hand, I personally like to listen out for this and just be generally vigilant. EG: Even at night, I find myself with only one earphone in because I feel like I know that everything and everyone is okay. This is where open headphones could suit me better. What do you think?

-do you want a mic, if so a desk mic or something like a modmic?
#As stated above, included mic needed that needs to be flexible.

Ytyoussef

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
You can attach a V-moda BoomPro Mic to any (or almost any), headphones with a removable 3.5mm cable. Talking about V-Moda, if you like a slightly bass-heavy sound, the M-80 and M-100 headphones are really nice. These wouldn't be good if you're looking for neutral sound though. The B&W P7, the Sennheiser Momentums are great, the akg k550 as well, the philips fidelios M1 too. (These are in a decreasing price order.)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS