Question Recording Studio

Jan 1, 2024
Hi. Newly joined. I checked Toms review for a Dell XPS, but the analysis is all about playing games. Do you check for suitability for use in a Recording Studio??

pmerritt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi. Newly joined. I checked Toms review for a Dell XPS, but the analysis is all about playing games. Do you check for suitability for use in a Recording Studio??
Most computers that are capable of running games will definitely be powerful enough for recording studio duties, however, you really should buy based on how your workflow will be. If you are going to mostly be using hardware to generate your sound, you don't need a super powerful computer. However, if you're planning on using a bunch of plugins. Especially, some of the really nice ones that take up gigabytes of space. Then you're going to need a PC that can handle that type of load.

I'd say get something with a 13700k or 14700k or AMD equivalent, at least 32gb ram and as much storage as you can afford. You don't need a fancy graphics card, you could even use the built in video (keep in mind it requires some of the ram if you go that route)
Anyhow, for any other specifications. You can refer to whatever software you use recommendation for guidance. Keep in mind that there may be certain hardware requirements for the PC based on whatever outboard hardware you use. Like it may be a good idea to have FireWire but again it depends on your workflow.