Recovering Outlook Mail pst file - not currupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisgod

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I had a graphic chip die on my HP Elitebook with an OEM Windows 7 license. I had a personal email and a couple of client's email account setup in Outlook with many offline folders. The repair shop tried and failed to repair it. I got a new laptop (different brand / processor maker) and could read my old drive from a USB housing - I've migrated to a new PC before. However, I could not find a pst file that was recent, there were a couple including an archive that were 3 years old - I search the entire HD. Using the old pst file, only the mails from the period during which the laptop was in the repair shop appeared in my INbox -again the critical emails were in my personal account which was POP3 and also in offline folders.

Any idea how I can get my mails?? I even thought of buying an old Elitebook same model but Windows 7 was a an OEM license so that expensive idea likely wont work. Thanks

Solution
I forget exactly where outlook stores PST files by default, but it's somewhere in the user profile files that are usually hidden. It will be slightly different for different OS's. Open the \User\<your user name> directory. You can either enable showing hidden files, or you can add the \AppData to the file path and hit enter. I think the PST files are buried somewhere in the Local\Microsoft file or Local\MicrosoftOutlook. Search probably didn't find it because they are in a hidden directory.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
I forget exactly where outlook stores PST files by default, but it's somewhere in the user profile files that are usually hidden. It will be slightly different for different OS's. Open the \User\<your user name> directory. You can either enable showing hidden files, or you can add the \AppData to the file path and hit enter. I think the PST files are buried somewhere in the Local\Microsoft file or Local\MicrosoftOutlook. Search probably didn't find it because they are in a hidden directory.

Solution

dennisgod

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hello Calculagator

Thank you for your response. I thought of this too but at your urging I tried again and did find it under Users/MYNAME/Documents/Outlook Files.

Thanks again!

Dennis

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
The correct directory is not Users\MYNAME\Documents\etc
It is Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\MicrosoftOutlook
You must either type it exactly correct or turn on showing hidden files. The AppData file will not show up under the user directory otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.