Redbox is Testing Higher Movie Rental Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
In a few years we'll be back to $2, just like we were 20 years ago at every store except Blockbuster. Still a better deal than being forced to pay a week's rental for something you only need for one night.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]In a few years we'll be back to $2, just like we were 20 years ago at every store except Blockbuster. Still a better deal than being forced to pay a week's rental for something you only need for one night.[/citation]

Yeah, I remember walking in to Blockbuster ready to get my 1 day rental. They had created the new category "just arrived" on top of 20 years and sooner "new releases" and regular. Then they "allowed" you to keep it 5 days and said it was only $4.99 which was $1 a day. Too bad I only wanted to watch it that night and return it the next day. I guess the sheep are stupid or else they wouldn't do it.

Funny how in today's corporate America when the competition raises prices, everyone else follows suit...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]Yeah, I remember walking in to Blockbuster ready to get my 1 day rental. They had created the new category "just arrived" on top of 20 years and sooner "new releases" and regular. Then they "allowed" you to keep it 5 days and said it was only $4.99 which was $1 a day. Too bad I only wanted to watch it that night and return it the next day. I guess the sheep are stupid or else they wouldn't do it.Funny how in today's corporate America when the competition raises prices, everyone else follows suit...[/citation]

because they can, and their isnt anything you can legally do besides not watch the media, but honestly, that isnt an option for most of us.

personally i would rather be dead than not have entertainment, even if i hate how i get the entertainment more than i haded (insert notable person in history who was hated by all here)

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
So, if you're local red box is now more expensive, watch the movie online instead. These tests will turn to the norm only if people buy into it. They aren't offering anything different, and inflation hasn't gone up THAT much.

Vote with your money. Don't be a lemming.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Haven't used one, think i looked at the selections one time about it. Other then that its a nice idea but I didn't quite get it though, cause you do have to return them, yes? something like that?? or just throw away.

Having the extra change to say might be the issue of use , only thing i could think of sometimes. Or just the change.

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
We can think all we want that Netflix and Redbox are just trying to rip us off with these price increases but the true folks at fault are the movie studios. First off .15 to .20cents more isn't that much but if the dicks up at the big wigs would stop doing everything in there power to kill redbox and netflix we wouldn't be facing price hikes. The biggest and greatest dick move was giving blockbuster 30day headstart on major movies, killing the new release buzz for redbox. And now they try to charge netflix more for the dvd's they use than other places. I support Redbox and would pay a little more to stick it to the Man.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]because they can, and their isnt anything you can legally do besides not watch the media, but honestly, that isnt an option for most of us. personally i would rather be dead than not have entertainment, even if i hate how i get the entertainment more than i haded (insert notable person in history who was hated by all here)[/citation]

^ and this is what's wrong with oru country these days .. have you ever ehard of books?

Seriosuly thoguh jokes aside bro , you could always read abook when movie rentals get to high. the reason why wea re in debt is because msot eh country , the goverment , in general spends money we/they don't have. think of it on these terms , if you had the choice , eat or get to watch a movie i'd think you'd be inclined to eat , but saddly in thsi day of credit cards and what not folsk do both when they can't afford both , food , is anecessity , movies arnt. :)

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]So, if you're local red box is now more expensive, watch the movie online instead. These tests will turn to the norm only if people buy into it. They aren't offering anything different, and inflation hasn't gone up THAT much.Vote with your money. Don't be a lemming.[/citation]

Here's a more noble idea. Torrent and download everything, Hey it's free! You get the best of both worlds, The big wigs and overpaid actors get the shaft and you still get to eat your cake too! I haven't rented a movie in years.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]In a few years we'll be back to $2, just like we were 20 years ago at every store except Blockbuster. Still a better deal than being forced to pay a week's rental for something you only need for one night.[/citation]

[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]Yeah, I remember walking in to Blockbuster ready to get my 1 day rental. They had created the new category "just arrived" on top of 20 years and sooner "new releases" and regular. Then they "allowed" you to keep it 5 days and said it was only $4.99 which was $1 a day. Too bad I only wanted to watch it that night and return it the next day. I guess the sheep are stupid or else they wouldn't do it.Funny how in today's corporate America when the competition raises prices, everyone else follows suit...[/citation]

You two need to realize that Blockbuster was the top dog back in the day and they had good reason to charge so much compared to competitors. They had much larger stores than most video rental places which they no doubt had to pay higher rent for. They had a much larger selection and more copies of movies and video games than all of their competitors.
They even tended to have a decent amount of staff working at all times. Naturally they had to charge more.

Blockbuster's only real flaw is that they did not forsee the change of tides. They could have easily been #1 even to this day and would have likely bankrupted NetFlix. Blockbuster has much more expendable resources than any competition even when NetFlix first spawned.
All they would have had to do was copy NetFlix rental program sooner , get exclusive rental deals of big name movies, and charge a similar to slightly lower price. The young and then future uncertain NetFlix wouldn't have survived. The only problem however is they would have become their own competitor to their actual stores and they would be closing them down anyways.

dawolf74

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
For you guys with short memories. Blockbusters customers sued Blockbuster over charging $1 a day rentals and rental penalties. The class action lawsuit basically stated this was gouging and price inflation, etc., etc., etc.

So, BB changed the pricing structure, because the customer demanded it (using lawyers), and of course the customer is always right.

So, Redbox comes around, uses BB's old pricing structure that they got sued for, and everyone loves Redbox.

As far as I can tell, the American consumer has no clue what they want, except they want it for as close to free as possible, while still getting high paying jobs from the corporations the low prices "stick it to".

All you people b@%#%@ing about BB charging a $5 day price for a 5 day rental instead of letting you guys keep it for a day for $1 is because 99% percent of you turn in the movie later then a day, then come into the store and argue that the charges should be forgiven. While the movie was not available to rent out to another customer, why, you shouldn't have to pay for that potential loss of business, it's BBs fault you couldn't drive past the store, of course!

Also, since DishNetwork bought BB, the pricing structure is much more reasonable, and they have regular giveaways, so I wouldn't poo-poo their business model as of late, unless you have already checked it out.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]doyletdude[/nom]We can think all we want that Netflix and Redbox are just trying to rip us off with these price increases but the true folks at fault are the movie studios. First off .15 to .20cents more isn't that much but if the dicks up at the big wigs would stop doing everything in there power to kill redbox and netflix we wouldn't be facing price hikes. The biggest and greatest dick move was giving blockbuster 30day headstart on major movies, killing the new release buzz for redbox. And now they try to charge netflix more for the dvd's they use than other places. I support Redbox and would pay a little more to stick it to the Man.[/citation]
You bring up valid points, but forget one major and main point - the actor's cut. What's wrong with Hollywood is exactly what's wrong with sports. Actors and players get exorbitant paychecks for doing something that most people won't make in a lifetime. Every business is there to make money, but when excessive contracts are written, cost of production or ownership increases and that is what gets passed on to you. Next time you pay $12 for a movie ticket or $100 for a ticket to your ballpark, you need to think about what you're supporting. As long as people pay these prices, sports club owners and Hollywood studios will continue to view passing on the operating costs as accepted. These actors and players only get these ridiculous paychecks because your ticket purchase fuels them.

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I haven't rented a movie from Redbox (or anywhere else) in months. Not because I object to the price, but rather because I object to the crappy content of the movies Hollywood is putting out these days.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
THAT'S IT! I'm officially cancelling my RedBox subscription. Clearly, RedBox is interested in only one thing, MONEY!! Apparently RedBox doesn't care about entertaining people anymore! But seriously, I'm already paying $1.50 to get BluRay disks over standard DVDs, so a mild price hike like this isn't a big deal. Like the article says, it sure beats paying $5.99 to OnDemand a video from the cable company, or $4.99 to stream that movie from BlockBuster or VuDu. And Netflix, well, it will be 6-months before it's on Netflix, and it probably won't make it to the streaming service which is all I subscribe to.

[citation][nom]cts corvette[/nom]I haven't rented a movie from Redbox (or anywhere else) in months. Not because I object to the price, but rather because I object to the crappy content of the movies Hollywood is putting out these days.[/citation]

Same here, I thought I broke by Redbox drought recently because there was even less on TV this past weekend (although I do regret spending $2 on Skyline and SuckerPunch, and yes, I realized after the fact that Skyline is on Netflix online). I loved RedBox, and have used it since it first came to my location 5+ years ago. But there's so many aweful movies out there, I don't want to see them at all, much less pay a $1 for them, or now a $1.15 in certain markets.

Hollywood blames the internet for their poor box office performance, even though box office revenue has never been higher despite the crap they put out these days. In reality, Hollywood studios should be happy just knowing their movie was popular enough to torrent in the first place, and not just ignored all together (no, I don't condone piracy, I'm just saying, the torrent for Howard the Duck probably isn't straining anyone's download caps).

Still,

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
At least they aren't charging $5 for a 5 day rental like Blockbuster did for so many years.

If this increase could provide them with 26 million dollars in profit, they better reinvest that money into providing online streaming rentals!

If redbox was smart, they would provide streaming rental services at $1 each, because they could make way more money that way. Customers would not have to go to the redbox to return movies, so they could continue to rent over and over and redbox would not have to wait until the following day to get the customer to rent more movies. Not to mention that redbox would not have to purchase DVD or Blu-Ray movies. Digital rights are less expensive overall and they don't have to worry about damaged discs or unreturned movies.

If redbox wanted to take netflix's market share, they need to wake up and make a power move towards streaming movies.

[citation][nom]bloodlust22[/nom]Here's a more noble idea. Torrent and download everything, Hey it's free! You get the best of both worlds, The big wigs and overpaid actors get the shaft and you still get to eat your cake too! I haven't rented a movie in years.[/citation]

Hey it's illegal! Plus if everyone did that where would the money come from to continue making the movies? You can watch your free $400 budget movie filmed in a kids back yard all day long then.

apple1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
How are these systems affected by the micro-stuttering seen on some mid-range cards you studied? A big point of interest overlooked?
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.