Reflowing a GPU while still attached to laptop

mrtakoyaki

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hey folks, I have a SONY VAIO VPCEB390X/PCG-71211L laptop that won't boot up correctly. I've determined the exact cause to be that the GPU has faulty solder connections with the motherboard, and needs reflowing. However, when I try removing the motherboard from the laptop, there is one cable that I just cannot for the life of me detach. There aren't any disassembly guides on this particular model either on the internet (if you can find one, you are amazing). My only option left is to reflow the GPU with the motherboard still attached. My question is, is this a viable solution in terms of feasibility and safety?

Some photos of the laptop:
http://postimg.org/gallery/1zmmzpu8e/954c574f/

The GPU chip I would be reflowing would be the green chip on the right side. I would cover the rest of the MB in foil and prop up the MB while I am doing the reflow. Thank you for the help!

Danny Dj

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Did you remove the keyboard? There are 2 cables underneath it that need to be removed before the board will come out. I recently took one of these apart for the same reason, And after a stint in the oven for 8 mins all was ok. If you are using a heatgun, I would not recommend doing this with the board in the laptop frame.

Update: Actually the model I was working on was a PCG-7131m, But I'd expect it has a similar layout.