Reformatting my ASUS N55SF

ritadiana

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
I have reformatted my laptop once sometime last year using the built-in restoration thingy that came with this laptop.

I am in dire need of reformatting this laptop again, and when follow steps for reformatting using the built-in recovery system, it said I needed the recovery CD or something...

I was just wondering if I could reinstall/reformat Windows 7 Home Premium by downloading the OS into a USB thumb drive, then use my previous Serial Number? Is this possible?

Thank you very much!

Probably, but I wouldn't bet my neck on it. Be sure to have external backups of anything that you want. But if the machine came with Win7, and has your OEM activation code supplied, it will probably reinstall and run.

Be VERY careful where you get the OS to download onto a USB thumb drive. If you get it from a torrent or filesharing, the chances are good that it is infected with all sorts of nasty spyware. There were official downloads at Digital River once, but I know those got taken down and I don't know if they came back up. Can you get the manufacturer to send a copy of the restore disk?