Refurbished Lenovo Y50-70 won't turn on

RihardsV

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
Hello everybody
So, I recently bought refurbished Lenovo Y50-70 (8gb, 860m version). Got it yesterday. It came with EU-socket-type AC (I'm from UK) so I used an adapter (without grounding). Yesterday everything was fine, it was working perfectly. I left the laptop on for a night, it was still working in the morning. Then I left for work (laptop's still on) and when I got back, the laptop was off. I tried turning it back on, no response (no lights, no sound whatsoever). Instead AC brick was making weird high-pitched ticking (clicking) noises every half-second. I tried contacting lenovo,, now I'm waiting for new AC (hopefully that's the problem). Also I tried holding power button for 10, 30, 60 sec, no luck. Removed the backcover so I can disconnect the battery. Nothing works.
Any suggestions, guys? Thank you.

P.S. With backcover removed I smelled everything and nothing smelled burnt or something. Still no lifesigns from laptop

RihardsV

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
@hang-the-9
I just received new adapter. I plugged it in and it makes the same clicking / ticking sounds as the one before (notebook doesn't react - no sound, no lights, nothing). It might be notebooks fault. Is there possible way to fix this? What caused the problem?
It's not working with nor without battery.
Thank you

Sep 5, 2017
Saw this thread and wanted to post a potential solution, as I had the same problem recently:

Your computer may have locked itself up to protect itself from a power surge. This is a common feature on newer laptops. The good news is, this isn't a mechanical failure, it's just a security mechanism.

In this case, you need to open the computer, disconnect the main battery, and find a smaller, 3v battery on the motherboard that starts the BIOS (this is a small, round object just above the main battery on the MoBo that says something like "CR2032-3V-etc" and has a red and a black wire coming out of it). To reset the BIOS battery, you unplug it from the MoBo just like you did for the main battery, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in. Make sure you ground yourself before working on the computer.

If this solves the problem for you, then to prevent future failures, you'll need to buy at least a new surge protector and ideally a voltage regulator or no-break system, as this means you have an unsafe electrical current charging your computer. Especially if the power supply is making a noise when you plug it in--sounds like you probably have too strong a current through for the adapter to handle.