Reloading Windows on a laptop after replacing hard drive

jc109

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
The hard drive on my Toshiba c55d laptop died. I replaced it and made changes in the BIOS to let me install Windows. The forum gave me the info to make the BIOS changes. I decided to start with WinXP. Got through the initial install, to the point where it will boot with the WinXP logo and go to the XP setup page where "Installing Windows" is highlighted and "setup will complete in approx. 39 minutes". The "Installing Devices" bar gets to half completed (about 35 minutes remaining), when I get the Blue Screen of Death and a message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". The screen suggests disabling or removing any new hardware or software or changing BIOS settings for memory shadowing or caching. I can't do much with the suggestions, since the hard drive is the only changed hardware and there is no software except the partially installed XP and there are no memory options listed in the BIOS. I've tried to use the "repair" function to no avail. Tried to install from a "safe mode" start, also with no effect. Tried a "clean" re-install, where the single existing partition that Windows is loaded into is deleted and the install is begun from scratch. No help. I even tried to use my Win7 installation CD, but the existing XP will not allow it. When I try the Win7 CD, I get a box that says I have to insert the XP CD to proceed. Since I don't have a fully functioning OS, I don't have a way to go in and re-format the hard drive. I can only re-format/delete the partition under the partially installed WinXP. Nothing I have tried can get past the point where about half of the Windows files are loaded and about "35 minutes remain" on the install screen. Every time it gets to that point, I get the Blue Screen Of Death. I've gone back into the BIOS and changed settings I previously had to modify in order to get the system to even boot, but going back only prevents the unit from booting again, so I have to return them to what I had previously used. I'm stumped and stalled out.

Solution

Let's start here.

You mentioned installing XP and trying a Windows 7 disc at one point. So, if you have installation media, you can boot from that and format the drive (or the OS partition solely). This will start the installation process over again.

If I misunderstood, please clarify. :)

The IRQL error could allude to bad RAM. You won't really know for certain until you try reinstalling Windows again (whether XP or 7) by booting from your installation disc and launching the setup process again. If you keep hitting that error, you may need to replace one (or more, if applicable) memory modules.

Let's start here.

You mentioned installing XP and trying a Windows 7 disc at one point. So, if you have installation media, you can boot from that and format the drive (or the OS partition solely). This will start the installation process over again.

If I misunderstood, please clarify. :)

The IRQL error could allude to bad RAM. You won't really know for certain until you try reinstalling Windows again (whether XP or 7) by booting from your installation disc and launching the setup process again. If you keep hitting that error, you may need to replace one (or more, if applicable) memory modules.

Solution

jc109

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
I've set up the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive, which is where the WinXP CD is located. So, every time it tries to boot up, it should be coming from the XP disk. I'm still getting the Blue Screen Of Death. I'd be a little surprised if the memory were bad, since the only change has been the replacement of the hard drive.

jc109

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
I'm afraid I have to agree with you, since the computer won't even recognize the Win7 Disk. I'm also feeling there must be something wrong with the XP Disk, though neither seems to be scratched or damaged. I'm pretty well stumped on where to go now. Good thing that the laptop is not my primary computer.