Removal of sidecubes from Chrome

Vosgy

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Hay guys.
I had a friend bring me a computer to try and remove the adware that has built up on it.
I've run the antivirus on the machine (Microsoft one).
Then I've run Malwarebytes.
Then I've run Adwcleaner.
Then I've run Bitdefenders free anit malware software.
I've uninstalled any programs I've found that shouldn't be on the PC.

After all this Internet Explorer is completely clean, but Chrome is still infected with "sidecubes".
I've uninstalled Chrome and ran all this process again, reinstalled Chrome and "sidecubes" is still there. All the programs are coming up with no threats.

Anyone have any other suggestions short of a HDD wipe and OS reinstall?

Solution
It's usually faster to wipe and reinstall the OS on a badly infested machine than to try and hunt down every stupid occurrence of malware, which can't always be guaranteed to work. Also, having to reinstall all of their software usually serves as a good reminder to the machine's owner that they are not just wasting their own time but yours as well.

The best part is, it only takes the user a few minutes to mess the machine back up again, so I almost always shoot for the fastest repair method, not the most convenient for the end user.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
It's usually faster to wipe and reinstall the OS on a badly infested machine than to try and hunt down every stupid occurrence of malware, which can't always be guaranteed to work. Also, having to reinstall all of their software usually serves as a good reminder to the machine's owner that they are not just wasting their own time but yours as well.

The best part is, it only takes the user a few minutes to mess the machine back up again, so I almost always shoot for the fastest repair method, not the most convenient for the end user.

Solution

nukemaster

Distinguished
Have you checked your extensions in chrome(chrome menu -> Settings -> Extensions).

If it is just a home page, try to set a new one(chrome menu -> Settings -> On startup -> Set pages).

If it has a search provider you should be able to swap that out too (chrome menu -> Settings -> Manage Search engines)

Vosgy

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

There is no extention for sidecubes in chrome.
There is no search engine for sidecubes in chrome.
The homepage is set to google.com but still goes to sidecubes.
The new tab is set to google.com but still goes to sidecubes.

It is hiding so well I just cannot find it at all.

saratdr

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
Try resetting the browser's default settings (Chrome Menu --> Settings (show advanced settings) --> Reset settings).

Also, go to Control Panel, Programs, and see whether you can find SideCubes and uninstall/remove it?

Vosgy

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

There is no unwanted programs in the windows program list.
And I have tried resetting the Chrome browser setting to no effect.

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Do a google search for JRT (junkware removal tool), it's free and has saved me a few times getting rid of stuff that some of the bigger software has failed to do.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Well something must be hiding and bringing it back. This is common on malware/viruses because they want to replicate and be hard to track down.

I heave heard of, but never used third party browser cleanup tools.
Way at the bottom under free.
https://www.avast.com/en-ca/store

I just tested chromes built in reset and it does not remove extensions, just disables them, so chances are it will not remove your problem that is well hidden.

When you uninstalled chrome did you also check to see it was all gone from C : \ Users \ yourloginhere \ AppData \ Local \ Google \ Chrome \ ?

Vosgy

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

I'll give it a go, it's listed on beepingcomputer along with Adwcleaner and Rkill, so I think it will be a good tool.

I'll also give the avast one a go, not expecting much from it.

As for completely removed Chrome, yes all gone and several reset cycles in between the uninstall and reinstall as well, from all the scanners.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Do you have anything on the computer called Flash enhancer? also you should do windows key + R and press enter %APPDATA% and check out your local and roaming folder. Also google chrome leaves a lot of stuff behind even after you uninstall it as well as a lot of leftover registry stuff in the extensions. So go into appdata after you uninstall it and just delete the whole chrome folder and run ccleaner run it 3 or more times until nothing comes back. Then run http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html get the pro trial

Also download http://unchecky.com/ so your friend is less likely to get pups from commonly downloaded programs.