Removing gaffer's tape from the floor

mariad

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hey there,

I'm doing a job where I'll need to apply a good amount of gaffer's tape to a concrete floor for about 4 days (with medium foot-traffic). It's a partially waxed/ painted floor, and the facilities manager wants minimal damage done to it.

I did a bit of testing and it seems that the gaffer's tape is picking up a bit of the paint and wax and leaving a mark on the floor where that paint was. It's NOT leaving any adhesive residue-- just picking up paint and wax.

Is there some kind of method you use to remove gaffer's tape from the floor without damaging it? Would wetting the tape before removing it help weaken the adhesive? Thanks!

The paint was not applied properly in the first place.
The concrete was not clean when the paint was applied. Or it was the wrong type of paint.
Otherwise the paint would not pull off the floor.
It's not the tapes fault. It's the painters fault.
Properly applied paint would not pull off from the floor, it would stick permanently.
The concrete should have been prepped properly before painting. Obviously, the paint was applied onto a dirty surface...

Indecently, you should not be waxing paint either. The chemicals in the wax may be breaking down the paint.

It sounds like some idiot painted a floor wrong, waxed it improperly, and is blaming YOU for their own foolish mistakes.
That's typical...

mariad

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Yep that's what I figured-- their floor loots rather crappy to begin with so I don't why some tape marks would make that much of a difference. :pfff: