Repair or Replace?

Cindy1234

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I have a JVC Projection TV model AV-48P575 purchased in 2004 that just blew and now won't turn on. I expected more than 9 years out of this TV. Is it worth having repaired?

Solution

Yea, when you said you "expected more than 9 years out of this TV" I was nearly floored. TV's are not what they used to be for longevity. I'm only 18, so the fact that I can't even fathom any expensive electronic device lasting, or at least being relevant for more than 4 years without something going wrong is a testament to that.

That being said, I'm sure you know this but HDTV's have come a LONG way since 2004. I find the description on the manufacturer's website ironic:

The I'Art PRO package takes into consideration every feature the demanding digital customer is looking for...

Deus Gladiorum

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

Yea, when you said you "expected more than 9 years out of this TV" I was nearly floored. TV's are not what they used to be for longevity. I'm only 18, so the fact that I can't even fathom any expensive electronic device lasting, or at least being relevant for more than 4 years without something going wrong is a testament to that.

That being said, I'm sure you know this but HDTV's have come a LONG way since 2004. I find the description on the manufacturer's website ironic:

The I'Art PRO package takes into consideration every feature the demanding digital customer is looking for now and for the future. With features like Digital Image Scaling Technology where all sources are up converted to 1080i

Aside from it blowing out, the technology is far from relevant. 1080i makes most people scoff. It's pretty easy to find a 1080p 48" TV's at well over 1080i (30 Hz). Most of them are far closer to 120 Hz now for around a $500 price range. You really just can't predict technology I suppose.

Solution