Solved! Replace Laptop Battery

xelaspt

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Good evening,
I've googled extensively trying to find an answer but with no luck. I have an ASUS N61JQ and this is the second OEM battery I buy for it. I'm tired of buying battery packs for it and was thinking about replacing the battery with an external LiPo or 18650 pack that would plug at the same port the battery plugs. I'm just afraid the laptop won't accept it as input or, even worse, tries to charge the battery when it's plugged in. I really only want the battery just for those cases I move the laptop around so I won't have to shut it down. Can you give me some advice on it? I really wanted to be able to build an external battery pack that would be plugged in when the laptop was pluged to the charger without any problems and that would work as an external battery if I unplugged it. The external battery would be charged with a LiPo charger, not with the laptop's internal charger.

Thanks,
Alex

Solution
If will charge the internal battery unless you remove it, AND the laptop lets you. Some laptops is been known to require the internal battery to be in-place at all times. Time to stop Googling and start testing.

As far as accepting ext batt pack, if 2 prong connector (dumb charger), no problem, 3 or more prongs (possibly intelligent charger) eh... don't know, again, test it.
If will charge the internal battery unless you remove it, AND the laptop lets you. Some laptops is been known to require the internal battery to be in-place at all times. Time to stop Googling and start testing.

As far as accepting ext batt pack, if 2 prong connector (dumb charger), no problem, 3 or more prongs (possibly intelligent charger) eh... don't know, again, test it.

Solution