replace laptop screen with 1080p screen?

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
So a month ago i slipped on a patch of ice on the ground and landed on my laptop bag with my laptop in it and the only thing damaged was the lcd screen (i checked to see if everything else was fine by hooking it up to an external monitor) and since im going to have to buy myself a new lcd screen for about $60 i was wondering if it would be possible to spend some more on a 1080p screen since i know my laptop can handle the resolution just fine but i dont know if it will actually run due to power restrictions etc.

my laptop is an HP-dv6-6128ca
amd a6 -3410mx
4gb ddr3
6750m gpu

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I would suggest you check with HP for the answer to that one. Chances are that they will not have a upgrade that will work or they may not be willing to offer you one but it can't hurt to ask.

99.999% percent of the time, no. If HP offered that model of laptop with different screen resolutions at the time of buying, it's possible. In reality, most laptop don't get offered those changes and finding a compatible panel is next to impossible.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
ok so next question, will an hp g62 laptop with the same connection type and specs for the screen as my laptop work on mine if i just take it out to put in mine? everything matches up..
WXGA+
LED backlit
connector in same location
1366x768
glossy

i figure since its an hp and same year it should work on mine even though its different model laptop and i can find one on my local craigslist with say a broken motherboard for about $30 which is much cheaper than buying just a screen online.. thoughts?