replaced cable ribbon and oem drivers but touchpad still doesn't work after opening laptop.

Cording_to

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
I have a high end Acer laptop, couple years old. I opened it to fix a component the other day. After closing it everything was fine, but the touchpad and touch pad drivers were gone. I reconnected the cable ribbon on both ends 2-3 times. After deciding that the easiest potential fix was a replaced cable ribbon, I bought one and although it seems perfectly compatible, the touch pad still doesn't work. The ports seem fine and lock in place. What can I look for to make sure that the ports are okay?

Solution
The BIOS settings are unlikely to help unless you changed them.
Go into device manager and see if the touchpad is showing any type of hardware errors.

If the drivers are gone and it's still detecting the device then it should show some type of alert in device manager.

If you don't see it listed in device manager then windows my not be detecting the device and there will be no drivers or other software that can fix it. You would need the hardware working first before you can install/use the software for it.

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Uh, can't help you hardware wise but did you reset bios after changing hardware? Just to make sure it's not a "not detecting hardware correctly" issue, instead of some hardware/contact problem.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Cables are typically pretty straight forward. They are generally connected and working or not.
There's not much for you to really try other than disconnecting and reconnecting the cable again.
The only thing I can even think to mention is that often ribbon cables have metal contacts on one side and not the other. So as long as your putting it in the right way around I think it SHOULD work.

Cording_to

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015

Thanks for responding. The drivers are completely gone. I even installed them from acer and no mouse driver appears in device manager. I have the latest bios, what does resetting it do exactly, and how would I do that?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
The BIOS settings are unlikely to help unless you changed them.
Go into device manager and see if the touchpad is showing any type of hardware errors.

If the drivers are gone and it's still detecting the device then it should show some type of alert in device manager.

If you don't see it listed in device manager then windows my not be detecting the device and there will be no drivers or other software that can fix it. You would need the hardware working first before you can install/use the software for it.

Solution