Solved! Replaced power supply in Sony TV but it’s still not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewnaff

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I have a Sony Bravia KD-60x690E that I got on sale on Black Friday in 2017. 6-8 months later, we had a bad storm here and lightning stuck right next to our house. For a couple days, the tv worked fine, but then, suddenly we went to turn it on and it wouldn’t work. There was a red blinking light that blinked twice and nothing we tried did anything to it. I planned on getting it fixed, but recently and used a small backup tv, but recently I decided to try to do it myself after finding that the only option around here is GeekSquad.

So, I tried researching Sony TVs, especially this model, and learned a few ways to try to reset it. I tried them all to no avail. I still get the blinking red button. After that, I ordered a new power supply for the model on eBay, and after installing it and making sure everything was connected right, I tried plugging it in and I still have the same red light blinking twice. I am so stumped and confused, because I’ve spent hours researching Sony TVs and I learned that the red light blinking twice means the power supply is the issue, but replacing it didn’t help at all.

Now, I’m no expert on TVs, so I’m not sure what else to try. After replacing the power supply and trying to reset it again after that, it still isn’t working. Do any of you have any idea what I can try next in order to fix it? I’m open to anything.

Sorry for the abundance of information. I included extra details in case they are significant somehow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
At the very least you would need a VOM (volt ohm meter) and the service manual which I could not find online with a quick search.
A bad power supply could cause additional damage to other boards or could be damaged itself if one of the boards it powers has a problem.

matthewnaff

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
You are assuming that the power supply is the only problem and that the one you got on ebay works.
I suggest you try
www.shopjimmy.com
They sell replacement boards and are very helpful.
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

The reason why I am assuming it’s the power supply is because I found multiple sources displaying error codes for Sony Bravia TVs, based on the amount of red blinks, with all of them listing possible problems for each code, and all of them showed the power supply as the only cause of the issue. And I’m assuming the power board is good because it came from a well-rated seller and was listed as brand new, and more importantly, because I have zero expertise with electrical things. The most I’ve done is built my own PC.

So, to avoid wasting more money on other parts I may not need, I want to ask you, what is the equipmemt I would buy to test all the boards to determine the issue? I saw in some YouTube videos that a couple of the guys used some device that tested the boards but I’m not sure what they are.

Also, if those things I read online are wrong and it’s not the power supply, what else should I be testing.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.