Solved! Replaced screen, why is original home button not working

May 22, 2020
I bought an iPhone 8 Plus to fix that had a cracked screen which wasn’t even showing anything on the screen, not even at start up.

I replaced the screen and transferred the home button from the original iPhone 8 Plus that I bought.

started up beautifully and all functions seem to be working like new...except the home button! I tried positioning and repositioning the Home button for two hours, and varying how tight I tightened the screws in it’s corresponding cover/bracket

Please help. I’m Wondering if maybe the serial number/compatibility with the new screen is the problem, but the internet doesn’t really give a clear answer.

if you can help i would be very grateful. :)

Last edited:
Solution
No way to know, the button could be bad, the connection to the system board could be bad. I don't think even Apple blocks home button connection based on serial number.
Jun 30, 2020
Many replacement screens have a defective home button interconnect cable. When the home button works with the original screen but not the replacement screen, it is a bad screen and you need to warranty it or replace it. And yes a whole batch can be defective.

However, sometimes while disassembling the iPhone, you damage the home button extension cable on the broken screen, then you try to fit a bad replacement part. Now home button doesn't work on neither the old nor the new screen, and you assume the home button itself has failed. Well no, sometimes it hasn't.

TRENDING THREADS