Replacement for the Logitech G430 headset

Longswordt

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Recently I purchased a Logitech G430 gaming headset. After using them I came to the conclusion this isn't the right headset for me. I have a few problems with them, mostly preference wise and I need your advice in a new headset.

Before the G430 I used a operator headset with one ear pad, which is insanely annoying playing games. So when I purchased the G430 I knew I needed to get used to it, but after a week there are still things that bother me.

- When I talk trough the headset my voice sounds awful for myself, it sounds like I'm talking with my fingers in my ears (even with mic playback on).
- After a while my ears get irritated because the closed design produces such a concentrated sound (don't really know how to explain this).
- The sports cloth ear pads are a little rough around the ears, I would have expected them to be a bit smoother.

But I also have some pro's.
- I really love the virtual 7.1, it sounds so much more pleasant then the stereo in some way.
- The over-ear pads gave an awesome tight fit.
- The microphone was good enough for gaming.

After looking on the different forums I came to the conclusion that an open design would me more suitable. But when I'm looking for a nice open design headset that also has virtual 7.1 they are getting expensive. I'm willing to extend my budget for a good headset (and I do prefer a headset instead of headphones and a separate mic). Mostly I end up looking at the Sennheisers but they are just to expensive. Only the Sennheiser PC 323D would be the open design 7.1 headset in my budget but those ear pads look a little bit small to fit over my ears.

I hope someone can recommend me a headset.

Thanks for your time.

Solution

I am using the Sennheiser PC360's...

Longswordt

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Thank you for your reply.

Both headsets you recommend are closed ear design. Don't you think I will have the same problems with these as I got with the Logitech G430?

BlueFireZ

Estimable
Im not too sure, but i think you should be fine, and from my experience the Logitechs have a more concentrated sound then other headsets ive used. Plantronics also has a open ear headset, the Gamecom 788 but it is discontinued though, you still may be able to find it. Your best option is to go too your nearest store that sells the PC323D and just try it on to see how it feels.

Longswordt

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Ok, I will look into the Plantronics. I tried looking for a store which has the PC 323D on display but unfortunately I haven't found one yet. Other recommendations are still welcome.

BlueFireZ

Estimable

I dont know about the Razer Charicas, but ive used the Razer Kraken 7.1. It had a buzzing sound in the background and when switching from program to program, synapse took a while to sync. Though the material quality is really nice the sound wasnt, for me, i woudnt recommend Razer. Also, another option you have is to buy a open ear headphone, a zalman mic (or another one) and use a good sound card. I am using my Dolby 5.1 sound card in my laptop and i am using a pair of Sony open ear headphone right now.

Longswordt

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
I too have tested the Razer Kraken 7.1 and it was ok, but I can't say that it was a great sound experience. So, no Razer for me. Maybe I'm also expecting a little to much for my budget but it's never wrong to take a closer look at all possibilities.

@ttimberlak443 I'm willing to spend some more money and I really like the Sennheisers but when I look at the PC360 it's double the price of the Logitech G430 and it doesn't have the virtual 7.1. The PC363D does but is even more expensive.

Maybe at the end of the year I'm building a new pc. Does anyone know if you can add virtual 7.1 to a stereo headset with a soundcard. So for example, is it possible to hear 7.1 with a PC360 using a Asus Xonar card?

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I am using the Sennheiser PC360's with a Xonar DGX right now. Despite the sound card having the ability to give me simulated 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, I keep them on stereo. The spacial positioning on this headset is superb without anything extra.

The Xonar DGX drives them just fine and gives you the option of virtual surround should you want it.

Solution

Longswordt

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
I'm really tempted to buy a PC360. It's totally out of my budget, but sometimes you need to treat yourself to something nice. I will think about it tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm also sending back the G430. The sound of my own voice due to the closed design, it's like talking with your fingers in your ears, is the real dealbreaker.

I'll let you know my decision.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Just so you're aware, I am pretty sure you can adjust the sidetone of the G430's (how much of yourself you hear in the headset) in the Logitech software. Those mics don't sound the best though.

Longswordt

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
The Logitech software doesn't have microphone playback in it. I had to enable it in Windows and put it to max. I do hear myself (a little) but certainly not enough to make it sound comfortable and I already got the speaker volume up to 70% and ingame tured down. When I turn the volume up further it starts to produce a cracking noice. So my conclusion is; the headset is just not worth it.

Longswordt

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
I got the PC 360 in the mail today! All the problems I had with the G430 are gone. I can hear myself talk clearly now thanks to the open design. The comfort is way, way, way beter! The velvet earpads feel so nice. I haven't had it on for a long time (I will in the upcomming days) but it looks like they are more comfortable, feel lighter, sound better, are more durable. No more mic and volume buttons in the cable, they are on the headset itself (wheel for volume on right ear, flip mic up for mute). The difference in quality is clearly noticible, as is the difference in price. But for now totally worth the money.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I'm glad that you seem to be happy with them. They will only sound better once you can pick up a sound card that can drive them better. You can even EQ them a bit to your liking, although something tells me that little to no EQ'ing will need to be done to make you happy with their sound.