Replacement screen not working?

deathrament

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
So i'm replaceing a screen for a toshiba satellite s875d. It's my first time doing it but was quite simple. Only problem is that the screen is not working, it's just black. Now i'm doing this for someone else and they ordered the screen. The dimensions of the screen are identical, in fact it seems like the right screen. The numbers don't match on the back of it but i suspect they wouldn't as it's an after market replacement. There is only one connector on the old, same as the new one. But when i turn it on the laptop powers on but screen stays black. Iv'e put the old one back in and it woks fine except cracked. Re-connected the new one again but nothing. I'm pretty sure i'm doing it right. Also when i put it in the battery was disconnected. So there was no power to the laptop so i didn't damage it.

omid javidbakht

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
there are many kinds of screens but major difference is for the connector
some screens are 30 pins and some are 40 pins(connectors)
first of all you connect a VGA(or HDMI) cable to the laptop to other screen LCD(desktop LCD) to be sure that GPU is working well
if it was working so the screen isn't the right one
change it
some times the cable that connects the screen to the laptop(we call it flat) is broken and you have to change it too.it accrues to me once
good luck

Find out where the other people bought the replacement panel (e.g. eBay or laptopscreen.com).

Identify the exact and full model number of the Toshiba - or look at the back of the old panel, the specs have to match - and do your own online search. Depending on where the panel was bought, it is entirely possible that it was defective from the start.

Replacement panels usually start at $60/ €60/ £55 from reputable sellers.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

deathrament

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Just another quick question. When I tried the new screen I left the battery out and just used the charger to power on the laptop. Would that matter that I didn't have the battery in? I can't see how it would but just make g sure.

No, it shouldn't.

I swapped the TN panel for an IPS panel on my Lenovo about six months ago, and the procedure is pretty straightforward, as you've noticed yourself. The key is to be absolutely sure about the computer's model number and then find a reputable seller. I bought my panel on eBay from a UK seller, and the panel is perfect.

Spend some time going over the seller's web site, or listed info, and if it seems 'legit' then check the prices asked. If it sounds 'too good to be true', then it probably is.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

omid javidbakht

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016

no it doesn't matter if you use battery or not
be sure about it
I change two or three screens each week and some of them even don't have battery(battery is crashed or the owner forgot to brought)

deathrament

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Ahh ok thks. I didn't think it would matter but just wanted to cover everything. So i know i did everything right which means either the replacement is dead or it's the wrong one. She showed me a picture of the one she ordered and it was showing the correct model number. And the one she received looks identical to the old one as well so i assumed it was the correct one.