Replacing both drives in 751 with 1TB SATA ssd

poisondartfrog47

Estimable
May 4, 2015
I recently purchased a Asus ROG 751JY DH72X and I've been thinking of replacing the 500GB m.2 SSD with 1TB samsung (SATA) 850 Pro SSD and the 1TB HD with another 1TB SATA 850 Pro SSD. Will this work okay? Will I need to remove the metal plate under the installed m.2 ssd to get the SATA 1TB SSD to fit? Basically winding up with a 751 with 2TB of SATA SSD. I've only been able to find samsung evo 500GB m.2 SSD...no 1TB model available yet I believe so upgrading to SATA SSD maybe better choice at the moment? Any help is truly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

PDF47

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
Hi there :)

Here are the instructions with provided pictures on how to replace hdd/ssd on ASUS ROG 751 models

http://rog.asus.com/375732014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gallery-g751-upgrade-guide/

If you still have your doubts you can just freely contact asus rog support regarding this.

poisondartfrog47

Estimable
May 4, 2015
Hello Proofy,

Could I replace both existing drives (500GB m.2 ssd & 1TB HD) with 1TB samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD? Would this work if I removed the m.2 ssd and underlying metal support along with the 1TB HD in drive bay 2?

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
Yes, you can put 2 SSD-s in your laptop if that's what you're asking me. You have 2 drive bays therefore you can fit 2 ssd-s inside :)

Phil000

Estimable
May 9, 2015
I have two big questions to ask:

Do I need to copy/ghost any of the existing drives even though I've yet to turn the notebook (Asus G751JY DH72X) on or charge it?

If I do need to copy/ghost one or both of the existing drives before I replace them...what exactly will I need to do to accomplish the successful replacement of the existing drives for this notebook besides the physical removal of the drives and replacement with ssd?

A detailed step by step explanation would be truly appreciated if possible. I'm sure there are other people out there that are also looking to upgrade the drives on their own Asus 751 notebooks so a step by step guide on how to do this would be, I'm sure, highly appreciated.

I'm sure that I'm much more in the dark with regard to how to accomplish the task at hand and therefore much more in need of a step by step explanation than many other owners of this notebook. Maybe the task is not as monumental as I'm guessing it might be for a novice with upgrading notebooks such as myself?

Any help with the above task would be greatly appreciated.

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
Why would you need the copy of your current hard drives if you're going to replace both of them with 2 ssd's? Once you replace them you will still have all the data on hdd's that you replaced. If you want to backup your current hard drives there are plenty of guides that you can find on youtube that guides you step by step on how to do so.

This being said you can make full backup (including all the files and windos), you can make partial backup (only files and drivers) or you can backup drivers only.