Replacing capacitors on my hdtv

mufasa

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hello everyone,

About a year ago,my 32" LCD HDTV stopped working,I knew it wasn't the screen so I opened it up and had a look, my un-trained eye missed the capacitors that were blown so to me nothing seemed amiss. So I re-assembled everything and bought a new tv and left this one on my list of To-Do things, so now a year later,I have popped it open and having have taken a few ECE classes I noticed that the caps had been blown and this was causing my issue. After a quick search and a rummage for a power cord,my suspicions drew closer that this was the issue and that replacing the whole board was not necessary. but even before removal,I was worried about this "grey gunk" that was random and underneath a few of the capacitors.

So after all that, my question is this: Is the grey stuff in the pictures capacitor leakage or is it some kind of thermal paste applied to the board?
If it is capacitor leakage why is it in the random places,did it roll down with no trail on the board?

Here it is under the Capacitors

And a few pics of where it is randomly hanging out.

mufasa

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
so,anybody have any idea? Is it safe to just remove this stuff from my board? If my board gets hot..I might just run a fan in there keep everything moderately cooled as well...any opinions?

mufasa

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

Thank you very much! Going to be replacing those capacitors later today then, and figuring out where I'm going to secure the fan.