Solved! Replacing Hard Drive in HP laptop without recovery discs

cah14522_me

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I'm in the midst of replacing a failed hard drive in my daughter's HP model 15-r210dx laptop. I followed a YouTube video I found on how to get at the drive, which is not easy on this model of laptop, so I'm good on that part. What I need help with is how to get the operating system and drivers onto the new hard drive once I install it, since I do not have the recovery discs. I was unable to make a set off the recovery partition prior to the drive failing on her. Is there a site where I can find an image of the recovery discs for this model so I can restart the laptop once I install the new drive later today?

Thanks!

Solution
First off, I hope you kept the license# around, because you will need it.

See if HP.com let you download the Recovery Disc if you have a fast Internet, otherwise they should be more than happy to snail mail you something at an easy S&H fee.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
You can try contacting HP but I doubt they have any disks you can purchase.
This is assuming you didn't update to Windows 10, but either way it's the same process even if you did:

Since it had Windows 8.1 on it you can create install media and reinstall Windows 8.1 using this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

You won't have any of the software added by HP but you will have a nice clean Windows 8.1 installation. And it should activate Windows with no issues as the Windows key is embedded in the BIOS chip.

First off, I hope you kept the license# around, because you will need it.

See if HP.com let you download the Recovery Disc if you have a fast Internet, otherwise they should be more than happy to snail mail you something at an easy S&H fee.

Solution

cah14522_me

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
So I won't need the Microsoft Key Code to activate the OS on the new hard drive? That would be great news since I don't see the normal sticker with the code on this laptop, and all the boxes / packaging are probably long gone. I'll give the link you provided a shot. Anything else you can recommend or tips? Thank you!