Replacing hard drive on acer e1-522

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Hi bit new here please go easy.

Bought a laptop without a hard drive, i have replaced with a blank one and now i am having issues starting the laptop up. It is asking for recovery media as missing boot device.

Never replaced a hard drive on a computer, so any help be much apprecited. It is a windows 8 ios i think i was ripped off £16 for recovery download for the acer item. How do i get the laptop up and running. The hard drive is installed correctly as checked on the booting page.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If I'm reading you correctly, yes.
For an OEM license, which is what a laptop generally comes with, it is tied to that particular system.
Install, and input that license key.

Win 7 and earlier, it is printed on the case.
Win 8 and later, it is embedded in the BIOS, making things MUCH harder.

USAFRet

Illustrious

What OS, where did you get the install media from, at what point in the install process are you?

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Brilliant, thank you USA.

Sammyjo20

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
When I do my OS install, I agree to the Windows 8.1 licence and then where it would usually asks for a licence key, it skips and it says Windows is activated in properties.

- Sam

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then it is picking up the license key that is embedded in the BIOS.
This is not always the case.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Ok laptop ran out of charge whilst through installing, now it has blue message box saying Default boot Device Missing or boot failed. Insert Recovery Media and hit any key Then Select 'boot manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media.

Any suggestions?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Redo the install from the beginning.

Sammyjo20

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
1. When it turns on, Press F12 Repeatedly. If that's not the button, try F2, Delete or escape.

2. Select your memory stick

3. Format the disk by deleting the old partitions. (You can do this in the installer)

4. Install windows.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

I downloaded the windows media tool 8.1 onto a flash drive. When i plug into the laptop on start up it is a blue box message saying boot drive missing etc etc.