Replacing hard drive on acer e1-522

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Hi bit new here please go easy.

Bought a laptop without a hard drive, i have replaced with a blank one and now i am having issues starting the laptop up. It is asking for recovery media as missing boot device.

Never replaced a hard drive on a computer, so any help be much apprecited. It is a windows 8 ios i think i was ripped off £16 for recovery download for the acer item. How do i get the laptop up and running. The hard drive is installed correctly as checked on the booting page.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
I tried wintobootic but nothing is booting when i plug the flash drive in, all i am left with is a blue box saying 'Default boot device missing or boot failed' When i put the windows recovery drive in it dose go to the next page and give me the option to reset pc but this however dose not continue as says missing partion is missing. I am just trying to make sure before splashing out on a OS that when i put the disc in is it going to boot it or still give me this blue message box.