Question replacing ssd in windows tablet with existing ssd

rosycreates

Prominent
Jun 4, 2022
I am considering the purchase of another dell 5290 2 in 1 Windows 10 tablet, same configuration but with more (soldered on) RAM. Can I easily just take the 256gb ssd from my current tab and put it in the other tab? AND put the 128gb into my old tab? Would that mess with windows 10 ...the other one has win 11... Anything I should be aware of? This will be my 1st time trying this. I know how to open and service it. I have worked on laptops with the same OS. And have replaced ram and wifi cards. I just have never replaced an ssd before. All I want to do is take the 128gb ssd out (with win11) and replace it with my current 256gb ssd (win10). If need be, I do have a Windows 10 Installation usb drive. I'm just hoping to not to need to go that route.

TIA!

Last edited:

mrmike16

Honorable
I have never tried this with Windows 10, only with older operating systems. From that experience, this is likely to cause issues, both with activation of Windows (It's tied to the motherboard) and with drivers. It's best to run a clean installation and just copy your files over.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I am considering the purchase of another dell 5290 2 in 1 Windows 10 tablet, same configuration but with more (soldered on) RAM. Can I easily just take the 256gb ssd from my current tab and put it in the other tab? AND put the 128gb into my old tab? Would that mess with windows 10 ...the other one has win 11... Anything I should be aware of? This will be my 1st time trying this. I know how to open and service it. I have worked on laptops with the same OS. And have replaced ram and wifi cards. I just have never replaced an ssd before. All I want to do is take the 128gb ssd out (with win11) and replace it with my current 256gb ssd (win10). If need be, I do have a Windows 10 Installation usb drive. I'm just hoping to not to need to go that route.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTqgTaz8Oc

USAFRet

Illustrious

TIA!
You can probably switch the physical devices.
But the actual OS install....that will almost certainly need to be reinstalled.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
You can probably switch the physical devices.

The video I posted shows exactly what to do

But the actual OS install....that will almost certainly need to be reinstalled.

Windows is hit or miss with keys. As long as the model of computer is the same, it's likely that they will not need a key. The ASUS WS X299 SAGE in my desktop went kaput and I snagged a replacement off ebay and have not had any activation issues with my LTSC enterprise key.

Reactions: rosycreates

USAFRet

Illustrious
Windows is hit or miss with keys. As long as the model of computer is the same, it's likely that they will not need a key. The ASUS WS X299 SAGE in my desktop went kaput and I snagged a replacement off ebay and have not had any activation issues with my LTSC enterprise key.
License issues are different from operation.

Ignoring any licensing, will it actually boot up and run with no problem in a different system?
That is the question.

Generally, 3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've personally had all 3.

If this is the same 'tablet', it i likely to actually work.
But since one came with Win 11 and the other with Win 1, and different amount of RAM....doesn't seem to be 'exactly the same'.

All I can say is try it and see. Don't be surprised if there are issues.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
If this is the same 'tablet', it i likely to actually work.
But since one came with Win 11 and the other with Win 1, and different amount of RAM....doesn't seem to be 'exactly the same'.

All I can say is try it and see. Don't be surprised if there are issues.

You know I completely forgot about this until our discussion about Windows keys, but it's highly likely that these windows tablets have slic keys given that they are from Dell.

SLIC keys should generally keep both of the installations activated. A reinstall maybe necessary but buying new keys should not.

rosycreates

Prominent
Jun 4, 2022
You know I completely forgot about this until our discussion about Windows keys, but it's highly likely that these windows tablets have slic keys given that they are from Dell.

SLIC keys should generally keep both of the installations activated. A reinstall maybe necessary but buying new keys should not.

Ok. Thanks folks. I did decide on a different pc....a lenovo laptop w/o the OS...the other discussion I posted. 😀