Report: Apple To Cut Carriers, Sell Direct to Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Easily the smartest move they could make. There are so many people who want an iPhone but, do not like AT&T.(For w/e reason.) I can see their sells going through the roof if they did do this.

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
For those of us in the mid-west. mind u i will never own an apple product willingly, about time. this should be the route of choice for all cell phone models as it appears to be done in Europe.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
The whole advantage of GSM is the ability to change SIM cards (and carriers) freely. Why does Apple HAVE TO KNOW which carrier I want to use now, or next week for that matter? I don't see this approach winning too many fans, simply because phones that are locked down don't resell and become obsolete.

If Apple really wants to go direct to public, they should follow HTC's example - factory unlocked, 5-band, use any SIM on any network in the world, and offer it through retailers like Expansys. Charge a premium if you want, but it's how I bought my TP2, avoiding the awful model sold by the carriers, and I couldn't be happier.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Its a little strange how you can't just 'buy an iphone' in the USA.
In AUS i can buy one outright online or in store, and use prepaid or my existing provider, or any other provider for that matter.

Our networks may be slow and outdated, but we do have a choice.

G

you guys are forgetting, the reason iphones (or most smartphones) are only US$200 is because it is locked to a carrier. The carrier splits the bill with us to pay for these phones. In turn, the carrier locks us into a two year aggreement so they can collect on their investment. It's smart for apple to sell direct, but expect a higher pricetag.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]whatup[/nom]you guys are forgetting, the reason iphones (or most smartphones) are only US$200 is because it is locked to a carrier. The carrier splits the bill with us to pay for these phones.[/citation]
That still only applies in the US and the real question remains, how much does the phone actually end up costing?

If I buy a high-end smartphone on contract here in Sweden I pay nothing up front and a monthly fee for the phone, in addition to the regular plan fees, based on what the phone costs.

For example, a 16Gbyte iPhone 4 costs ~7800 SEK in retail off-contract ($1160).

By signing up for a two year contract, 49 SEK ($7.30) a month voice and 49 SEK a month data, i get the same phone for an additional 200 SEK a month for two years. Which means I end up paying 4800 SEK ($710) for the phone instead of 7800 SEK and I don't have to pay it all up front.

By choosing a more expensive base plan (say, free voice and text) I get an even lower montly cost on the phone.

By comparison the US carrier-locked phones don't seem anywhere near as good a deal, which means buying phones off contract should really a far more attractive option in the US than it is.

*shrug* I admit the US phone industry makes little sense to me anyway, it seems you guys are getting raped and plundered by the carriers in general.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom] I admit the US phone industry makes little sense to me anyway, it seems you guys are getting raped and plundered by the carriers in general.[/citation]
Sounds like you understand it better than you realize.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I'm positive Apple would never do that because they would have to make two different iPhone versions, CDMA and GSM. Apple always buys in bulk, uses the same old design, recycles old technology into new products. It would be too much for Apple to offer customers different types of technologies.

And if it came down to buying a $800 iPhone w/o contract and $200 Samsung Galaxy with a contract, it would make more sence to get the latter. On the other hand, Apple customers don't have much sense so it might be huge.

By the way, its possible to get a cell phone contract for only 1 year. You just have to ask. Think of a 1 year contract as worth $300 - $400 dollars, depending on the rate plan.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]Smart move by Apple. Give a bit of power back to the user.[/citation]
I cant't see how this empower the user really.

It does give more power to Apple however, as they would be lording over your 'virtual SIM' as well.

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Feckin hell, at last one intelligent move from them... better late than never i guess.. Apple is SOOO fecking frustrating sometimes (most of the time ??) ...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hokkdawg[/nom]Any way to stick it to AT&T, and I'm in. Verizon's network FTW.[/citation]
Did you even read the article?
EUROPEAN CARRIERS!
Jeez, if I had a penny for every dumbass comment...

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Good for choice but I can see apple cherry picking what contracts to offer. low mins and texts etc for high price to increase their profit margin.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Still won't make a difference. There will still be limited providers you can use it with, and you just know they're gonna charge quite the premium.

darkwingz24

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Buying an iPhone (or any phone for that matter) off contract isn't worth it. I pay the same for my plan regardless of whether I bought the phone outright or am on contract... the only difference is of course is the contract. But there's no benefit to being off contract except the illusion of choice because all carriers charge the same in the end. They all package it differently but by the time you put together a comparable plan it's all the same across all carriers.

G

This is WRONG! Programmable SIMs! Allow everyone to "hack", clone SIMs and much more!

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well, if they adopt this in the US, they probably face the same issues Nokia has with their unlocked phones: too expensive phones. This will probably have them sell less units and loose market share to other brands.

Nowadays you pay $200 + plan monthly bill (for 2-yr contract). If they go this route, you'll pay $600 + the same monthly bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.