Report: Apple's iPad Could Make You Smarter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
they're totally right. i've been doing hands on activities my whole life and i still don't even know how to shoot a basketball! that is of course until i downloaded hoops lite! on my iphone. I shoot 3's all day now:)

G

Someone forgot to read the fine print. "Research funded by apple"

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
O M F G .... you must be kidding. Only a apple fan boy would EVER believe this.
"It is less likely to cause cognitive overload to the user"...this article should be, "Ipad makes dumb people who cant use a comptuer seem smarter by using the Ipad."

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
While this does have the name of iPod and iPhone, this effect should cover all devices (Android, webOS, and....) with simplified OS which focuse more on the user friendly interface than handing multiple complex programs/functions.

I can understand why the study was done on Apple device due to its popularity.

However, due to the nature readers in this website, I am having kind of feeling that the autor in TG intend (or tend to) make Apple news looks bad to please the readers and draw more people reading/leaving comments on the article.

While I can understand the intent, when TH/TG is trying to gather the crowd by the hot spices instead of real beef... that kind of bring the level of TG/TH down.

Anyway, the authors in the TG/TH should know better about their readers here. I will be surprise that this kind of wording on the title and artile were just a "frequently happened accident".

Teen Geek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]they're totally right. i've been doing hands on activities my whole life and i still don't even know how to shoot a basketball! that is of course until i downloaded hoops lite! on my iphone. I shoot 3's all day now[/citation]
On your iphone

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Well lets see. You have to be a pretty big idiot to buy one of these to begin with so its stands to reason using it cant make you any dumber.

And I too see whats been going on. Lets face it all this BS being reported about Apple is strictly to get people to come here, flame each other, leave, come back and flame some more.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Key word here is "could".

-My latpop battery "could" explode as I'm using it
-BP "could" fix the hole in the Gulf of Mexico
-Steve Jobs "could" become more likable
-Tom's "could" stop reporting useless news

I guess the professor in the article is kind of right though. It's not like iPad owners can get any dumber, so the only way to go is up.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom].....Tom's "could" stop reporting useless .....[/citation]

While I do not like the wording in this article, this study is actually very interesting and useful. It is just like the studies done by University of Rochester on how video games improve the real world-vision (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090329143326.htm) and hand-eye corditation (Nature 2003).

While, some people may argue the usefulness of this kind of studies, they are actually very important for studying how our brains work, and for developing softwares for certin training or learning disability.

Anyway, while I don't like them only focus on device from one brand, the study itself is never useless which defintitely worth a space on TG.

nsmetana

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
So... what you're saying is that the ability to access unlimited amounts of information any time we want at the blink of an eye is making us dumber?

Riiight.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]nsmetana[/nom]So... what you're saying is that the ability to access unlimited amounts of information any time we want at the blink of an eye is making us dumber?Riiight.[/citation]
No. Having the ability to access unlimited amounts of information, and then choosing to OMG LOL on facebook and farmville all day. That's what is making you dumber.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"The main drawback to a single-window experience is that users can't draw information from multiple sources."
"people are able to focus more on one thing because the ipad makes it hard to draw information from multiple sources at once"

you wait, this will be Steve's next argument for why the ipad doesn't have multitasking.

OF COURSE i'm going to be more focused on one thing! because its a pain in the arse to switch between things!! I can achieve the same thing in Windows 7 if I want... I know where the maximise button is. unfortunately there is this little thing called "productivity" that gets in the way...

I somewhat agree that the internet presents something very rewarding for people with short attention spans, but the fact is I CAN control my level of focus myself thanks! I don't need a **** OS to force me!

Status
Not open for further replies.