Report: AT&T Stores Almost Sold Out of Nokia's Lumia 900

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hardly surprising, the Lumia phones are very good. We got Lumia 800's at work and they perform well and are very quick/easy to use. Since i got one the iphone have been collecting dust since the corp it policy don't allow iphones due to security concerns and the Lumia does everything the iphone does its simply no reason to have it around anymore.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Why not include basic specs and prices in the article. Makes it easier to get a picture of the device instead of doing a search now; yes, I am THAT lazy :)

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The Lumina 900 has a great OS, and beautiful case, but under the hood the hardware is a bit lacking. The single core processor is less of a major issue, because Microsoft did such a great job with the OS, but the camera is still noticeably bad.

Good job on the case, Nokia. Windows Phone 7.5 is awesome Microsoft. Now can we have a version of this phone with a good camera censor, and legit SOC? Single core 1.4 GHz Scorpion, with an Adreno 205? WTF is that? Really, Nokia? Really?
*sigh*

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Now can we have a version of this phone with a good camera censor, and legit SOC? Single core 1.4 GHz Scorpion, with an Adreno 205? WTF is that? Really, Nokia? Really? *sigh*[/citation]
Agreed. My wife really wanted a Windows Phone last year to replace her aging Android handset. Was next to impossible to find what few phones there were. Verizon was apparently not only recommending that customers not buy WP7 handsets, but they were then shipping them back citing low demand. No wonder Microsoft got pissed at them.

Fast forward a year or so and my wife now has an iPhone 4, but I'm still itching to try out a Windows Phone, only it's the same story again because I want better than a mid tier phone.

Microsoft and Nokia need to get on the ball and release a couple more models to cater to the high end phone crowd. If I can't find an acceptable Windows Phone in the coming months I'll be sticking to Android (probably the Razr Maxx) for another year at least.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i don't get why people like the looks of this phone. it looks like a piece of glass surrounded by a cheap plastic border[/citation] you mean it looks like the iphone or any other smart phone on the market?? shocking

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i don't get why people like the looks of this phone. it looks like a piece of glass surrounded by a cheap plastic border[/citation]

Well it's not actually a "cheap plastic border". It's a one piece polycarbonate case. It seems pretty solid.

G

"Whether this is intentional --- an effort to create the illusion of demand -- remains unclear"

I think it's pretty clear. A normal company would proclaim that they are selling 2 million units a day to inspire investor confidence, rather than manufacturing a rumor like this and hiring PR trolls to thumb down unfavorable comments.

I'm pretty sure that the AT&T store folks are required by company policy to act like every product is popular, and they probably don't have any in stock because they knew better than to order 10,000 Lumia phones when there's no reason to expect to sell more than 2.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hard to trust MS to release anything worthwhile after watching what they are doing to their desktop OS.

I remain skeptical. I bet this and other lumia series phones are going to FLOP. Huge.

They had a great opportunity to merge The Desktop/Mobile space. Instead, they have only alienated their userbase on both platforms.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Agreed. My wife really wanted a Windows Phone last year to replace her aging Android handset. Was next to impossible to find what few phones there were. Verizon was apparently not only recommending that customers not buy WP7 handsets, but they were then shipping them back citing low demand. No wonder Microsoft got pissed at them.Fast forward a year or so and my wife now has an iPhone 4, but I'm still itching to try out a Windows Phone, only it's the same story again because I want better than a mid tier phone.Microsoft and Nokia need to get on the ball and release a couple more models to cater to the high end phone crowd. If I can't find an acceptable Windows Phone in the coming months I'll be sticking to Android (probably the Razr Maxx) for another year at least.[/citation]

Except apparently from what even Android fans say, Android needs the extra power to make up for flaws. Window's phone apparently is better written so doesn't need the same specs to be as good.

The issue is, perception becoms reality. They see only a single core CPU and 512MB of RAM and think "Oh that's not as good". I think just an upgrade of the RAM to 1GB would do much to overcome that and it's certainly cheap enough to do and wouldn't hurt anything.

I myself am getting tired of Android. My Bionic is a nice phone, but I am sick of apps that just open by themselves. It's really odd how whenever I check running apps all these apps I never open, such as Pulse, Mobile Hotspot, Shazam, Slacker (bloatware I don't even want on my phone but can't uninstall, thank you so much Verizon), Gmail and many many more just up and running and taking up RAM.

I have checked before when I reboot my phone that I have about 475MB of free RAM (of course I can't figure out why the few things I have such as Lookout, Skype, Go Launcher EX take up 525MB RAM) and within a day I am down to around 250MB free, sometimes even under 200MB, and all because of apps I don't even open.

If Android apps don't start giving options to close the program and STAY CLOSED until I start them up again, I will happily give Windows Phone a looksee, especially now that Verizon doesn't want me to remain with them as a customer because of their new loyalty fee they have instituted.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I myself am getting tired of Android. My Bionic is a nice phone, but I am sick of apps that just open by themselves. It's really odd how whenever I check running apps all these apps I never open, such as Pulse, Mobile Hotspot, Shazam, Slacker (bloatware I don't even want on my phone but can't uninstall, thank you so much Verizon), Gmail and many many more just up and running and taking up RAM.[/citation]
This is easily remedied by rooting your phone. Rooting has many other benefits as well. Why complain about a problem that is easily fixed?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]This is easily remedied by rooting your phone. Rooting has many other benefits as well. Why complain about a problem that is easily fixed?[/citation]
Rooting wasn't even legal until a few months ago, and may not remain so. It also breaks the warranty and shouldn't be done unless someone is knowledgeable about the phone which I do not feel I am quite there yet. Not to mention there is always the possibility of bricking the phone and I am not prepared to have a $150 paperweight just yet.

This is also something I am getting tired of. People saying "Do something you shouldn't have to do to solve your problem" without addressing the root (no pun intended) cause of the problem.

Many apps such as Tunin Radio and the Weather Channel app have Exit options on their menu. When you exit out, those apps close and stay closed until I open them again. If they can do it, all other apps can do it, and they should do it. It's laziness on the developers for not doing this and Google for not insisting on this. No one would tolerate applications acting this way on their Windows desktop and I doubt if they did you would so casually toss out "oh just root the OS". No, I have a feeling you would be bashing Microsoft left and right.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Except apparently from what even Android fans say, Android needs the extra power to make up for flaws. Window's phone apparently is better written so doesn't need the same specs to be as good.The issue is, perception becoms reality. They see only a single core CPU and 512MB of RAM and think "Oh that's not as good". I think just an upgrade of the RAM to 1GB would do much to overcome that and it's certainly cheap enough to do and wouldn't hurt anything.I myself am getting tired of Android. My Bionic is a nice phone, but I am sick of apps that just open by themselves. It's really odd how whenever I check running apps all these apps I never open, such as Pulse, Mobile Hotspot, Shazam, Slacker (bloatware I don't even want on my phone but can't uninstall, thank you so much Verizon), Gmail and many many more just up and running and taking up RAM.I have checked before when I reboot my phone that I have about 475MB of free RAM (of course I can't figure out why the few things I have such as Lookout, Skype, Go Launcher EX take up 525MB RAM) and within a day I am down to around 250MB free, sometimes even under 200MB, and all because of apps I don't even open.If Android apps don't start giving options to close the program and STAY CLOSED until I start them up again, I will happily give Windows Phone a looksee, especially now that Verizon doesn't want me to remain with them as a customer because of their new loyalty fee they have instituted.[/citation]
Android is designed to load up as many apps as possible in the memory when it's not used, but you should be too concerned as most of them should not actually be using processing power. They are loaded so that once you do use it, it is snappy.

Unfortunately, some of the poorly written ones will drain some power, so programs like Juice defender are needed.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I can't wait to get one of these phones, but at this point I am waiting on W8....W8 should be a blow out OS for Nokia.[/citation]
I am waiting too, that and I'm waiting for Verizon to wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.