Report: Baby Monitors Slow Down WiFi Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfisthand

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Of course it does, lots of things slow down WiFi connections. Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves, metallic insulation, solar flares, zombies, etc., all terrible for maximum signal

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Going Wireless N (or A, for that matter) and using the 5 GHz channel would solve this problem. Of course, that requires N hardware on both ends, which could end up being pretty expensive.

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Going Wireless N (or A, for that matter) and using the 5 GHz channel would solve this problem. Of course, that requires N hardware on both ends, which could end up being pretty expensive.[/citation]

Unless you really need the speed for something, it wouldn't be worth it. G is fine for 99.9% of the population.

This article doesn't say how much it slows it. If one baby monitor slows it by 1 kB/s, then this is not a big deal. Obviously if it gets into the 100kB/s and up range, it starts to turn into a bigger deal.

But i will say this: I have a 2.0 MB connection. My friend has an 8.0 (same upload speeds). I don't notice a difference in internet speeds or gaming between the two. Most people won't. So baby monitors = not a big deal.

G

I was waiting to go 802.11 N once it was official and not just a draft... Good thing I didn't hold my breath for it. It's been what, 5 years? They need to stop arguing about whose techniques to use (aka, who wins the 'format war'), and just give it to us :(

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
This one time, after 2 weeks troubleshooting a mysterious VPN disconnect issue, I determined the problem was a microwave causing interference with the wireless signal. It was happening every day, because the lady's son would get off of school, and make himself a hot pocket. Like 16 hours with level 1 before that came to me, and I wasted an additional 2 hours or so on the problem.... because none of us suspected it was the damn microwave...

ilikesoup

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I seriously doubt that baby monitors slow down WiFi signals (correct me if i'm wrong but the only way to do that is with SUPER strong gravitational fields).

But I'm willing to bet baby monitors probably create interference and slow down data transfer rates over WiFi networks, OR that they limit the usable range of the WiFi signals, but slowing the signal down? Doubtful.

Also, I agree with theredsea... 2.4GHZ devices create interference, and that's news?

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Read Part-15 Class B rules of the FCC guidebook... this is not new news!

And guess what, unless you have a private spectrum reserved for your WiFi (which will NEVER happen) your going to get interference from ANYTHING sharing that spectrum.

Even devices that are not built for radio communications can cause interference.(i.e. microwaves, garage door openers, blenders, and blow dryer), if you want to completely protect your WiFi then your going to have to build a Faraday Cage or shielding around your area of protection... not exactly convenient.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Yes, baby monitors do have an effect but so do a whole ream of other gadgets that make for less appealing news.[/citation]

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
OK even though this is a bit old news, I think it does need attention considering so many things are on the 2.4 freq. Friendly reminder that if you have a wireless home network - avoid buying any 2.4 freq electronics and/or upgrade all 2.4 freqs with 5.8 freq or down grade to 900. FYI 900 freq products battery life and range are condsiderably shorter.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
"Reports are doing the rounds today claiming that baby monitors are party responsible for slowing down WiFi in built up areas."

Grammar Nazi says: Let's party!

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]ilikesoup[/nom]I seriously doubt that baby monitors slow down WiFi signals (correct me if i'm wrong but the only way to do that is with SUPER strong gravitational fields). But I'm willing to bet baby monitors probably create interference and slow down data transfer rates over WiFi networks, OR that they limit the usable range of the WiFi signals, but slowing the signal down? Doubtful.Also, I agree with theredsea... 2.4GHZ devices create interference, and that's news?[/citation]

of course the waves propagating dont slow down you dork :p. Did you know most people incorrectly identify internet speed as "bandwidth" when they mean "bitrate"

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]thej[/nom]Unless you really need the speed for something, it wouldn't be worth it. G is fine for 99.9% of the population.[/citation]
At the moment, yes. But as fibre rolls out more and more you'll find 802.11g is simply inadequate. Why have a 100Mbit connection if you'll stick a last mile in that usually can't break 15Mbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.