Report: "Better" Amazon Tablet Coming in January

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Today, without knowing it, I was shopping for a Kindle, and during my comparing the models (I was going to go for the 3Gwifi -- shazam! I hear about this "newer and better" model. The dilemma is simple: spend money now and be happy for a few months, then find out, I have a dated Kindle, and feel like I wasted money. The alternative now seems to be, not spending ANY money, so I wonder about Bezos playing these games with the consumers. This happens with all this new technology, and I am increasingly reluctant to make outlays-especially with money so tight and not having a clue about what the future will bring. This is the Apple tease I am sick of.and it doesn't make me like the Kindle more,

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i highly doubt amazon will choose to alienate their customers like that. the 10" will probably be ~$75 more, and have everything this one has including a bigger screen.

and if it's a big screen you're looking for, this obviously won't fit the bill

wopr11

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I'd recommend to buy both - leave the small one for reading and the big one for movies, videos and games. Heck at $199 I could buy one for every member of my family.

G

So if the 7 inch tablet is called the Fire... then maybe the 10 inch will be called the Inferno. That would be about the coolest thing Amazon could ever do.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The thing I like about a 7" tablet, over a 10" tablet, is that if it is intended as a colour eBook reader then it is already the same kind of size as a paperback book, which would make it more comfortable to hold and read.

I'm not saying that the the 10" can't do the same job, just that the size of the 7" is right for that specific role.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]woofda9[/nom]Today, without knowing it, I was shopping for a Kindle, and during my comparing the models (I was going to go for the 3Gwifi -- shazam! I hear about this "newer and better" model. The dilemma is simple: spend money now and be happy for a few months, then find out, I have a dated Kindle, and feel like I wasted money. The alternative now seems to be, not spending ANY money, so I wonder about Bezos playing these games with the consumers. This happens with all this new technology, and I am increasingly reluctant to make outlays-especially with money so tight and not having a clue about what the future will bring. This is the Apple tease I am sick of.and it doesn't make me like the Kindle more,[/citation]

You know, its not about you, but thats ok. Actually for $200 the new kindle is not too bad, I was looking at the new touch reader, but for $60 more, I can watch movives, play a couple games. Not a bad deal. Do I want to wait for a 10 inch version and maybe another $100 and a camera and other stuff I don't need, not sure. Lets wait on the reviews and see what happens, bigger is not always better.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I would tell them to wait...
Also...
You said "better" in title of the article.
Ok, I get that it will be bigger but how will it be "better".
You make that claim with nothing to back it up aside from a quote using the word "better" from Ryan Block. How do we know this guy isn't just thinking bigger IS better? I would be fine with the 7" version if I knew that the 10" version wasn't going to be any faster... On the other hand I'd rather have one that is faster and if that will be the case in January then I'd be willing to wait... Since I don't know for sure I think I'll wait.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Three months ago I got the KSO, I feel like it is outdated but then I think that it is meant for reading mostly, so I don't think I need to replace it.

I'm considering a Kindle Fire for my multimedia needs though. I hope that the 10" model costs 300 USD tops

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
why would early adopters be put-out, they know the next version is coming soon. If they didn't announce it, then they could be put out.

Please make the site work in IE9 without compatability mode on, the submit button doesn't work.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i highly doubt amazon will choose to alienate their customers like that. the 10" will probably be ~$75 more, and have everything this one has including a bigger screen.and if it's a big screen you're looking for, this obviously won't fit the bill[/citation]

$75 more? If that's the case you by both and it'll still be cheaper than the iPad. It'd be brilliant for marketing.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
www.bild.de/digital/multimedia/computer/amazon-ipad-kindle-ebook-reader-apple-tablet-20213610.bild.html

Hmmm...Kindle Fire only for US and not for Germany eh? Hey Amazon you wanna play with us your customer? Well, you get the game!
We ain't buying anything from Amazon starting today until the Fire is also available in Germany.
This ain't the way you should treat your customers.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]gokanis[/nom]Actually for $200 the new kindle is not too bad, I was looking at the new touch reader, but for $60 more, I can watch movives, play a couple games. Not a bad deal.[/citation]I agree that $200 is a good price point. However, the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Touch are like fire and ice, bad pun intended. The Kindle Touch (or just about any eReader with the e-ink Pearl screen) is completely awesome for reading books. Just as good as an actual book even in direct sunlight. The Kindle Fire and other similar tablets use various types of LCD and LED displays. They're good for most things, but for reading books, they're sub-par. It would be good for the occasional reading, but not good for long reading sessions, or reading in bright light.

Also, battery life on a tablet is measured in hours between charges, including the Kindle Fire. On an e-ink Kindle reader? Measured in weeks, even a month or more depending on usage.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]guanyu210379[/nom]www.bild.de/digital/multimedia/com [...] .bild.htmlHmmm...Kindle Fire only for US and not for Germany eh? Hey Amazon you wanna play with us your customer? Well, you get the game! We ain't buying anything from Amazon starting today until the Fire is also available in Germany.This ain't the way you should treat your customers.[/citation]Haven't you been reading the news? German courts are where Apple goes to get competing tablets banned. For them its like a drive-through order. "Yes, I'd like a number 7, no pickles, Pepsi, and also ban that latest tablet I don't like. Yes, the Amazon one this time."

guanyu210379

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Haven't you been reading the news? German courts are where Apple goes to get competing tablets banned. For them its like a drive-through order. "Yes, I'd like a number 7, no pickles, Pepsi, and also ban that latest tablet I don't like. Yes, the Amazon one this time."[/citation]

Who said that? Only Samsung got such treatment (stupid ban), other tablets are still free to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.