Report: Google Music Service Launching Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainm27

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I'm telling you! Google is going to take over the world! Now they are targeting the music industry! What's next? Google HealthCare?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]captainm27[/nom]I'm telling you! Google is going to take over the world! Now they are targeting the music industry! What's next? Google HealthCare?[/citation]

I'd use it.

However, the problem with Digital Distribution in general is there's getting to be so providers, with no interconnection, that it's really quite annoying. I've got about 6 or 7 accounts for music and games, and that doesn't include software, either. Maybe it'll get better with services that give one account that can be linked into many services, but... Still annoying.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hey, if they will sell me a song that I can download as a DRM-free mp3 (or other format) for a reasonable price, I'm in. Especially if I can re-download it due to the purchase being linked to my Google Account, in the case of catastrophic data loss on my part.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
If they provide REAL formats (.flac anyone?), then I'd be interested. If they keep with that MP3 garbage exclusively, I have no interest.

G

First and foremost DRM Free FLAC, anything else is irrelevant to me!

Then they could value add with
1. Maintain a record of music purchased on the account which would permit re-downloads with no bullshit limits (eg only 5x)
2. Enable some ability to verify music already owned from ANY source so that that may also be associated with the account to enable backup, which goes hand in hand with 3.
3. Log in to account via devices and enable streaming of all my music.

All this means I can now quickly and easily purchase full quality music without restriction, I have a backup of all my music, I can purchase something and stream/download it straight away while out and then redownload for storage and quality listening home.

I hope Google can pull this off, but I fear the music industry still doesn't get it!!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
If they offer DRM-free AAC audio at a good bitrate and prices that compete with iTunes, I'll jump the Google Music in a heartbeat. Bonus points if they offer additional formats.

And FLAC is pointless unless you are an audiophile with an excellent sound system. With good desktop speakers and especially PMP's with headphones you can't tell the difference between FLAC and lossy formats (unless it uses a low bitrate). Plus FLAC takes up too much hard drive space and will drain the battery faster on PMP's.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]If they offer DRM-free AAC audio at a good bitrate and prices that compete with iTunes, I'll jump to Google Music in a heartbeat.[/citation]
Why doesn't Tom's Guide have an edit button like Tom's Hardware does?

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
FINALLY a place to get good old school funk ! .. Yeah .. i said it .. NO STINKIN' DRM !!! Please ? unless someone is willing to sell me their old CD collection of tasty funk break beats ... ( Funky !)

Status
Not open for further replies.