Report: New Xbox 360s More Reliable Than Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

japnoise99

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
"Overall, over the last couple of years, the Xbox 360 is still most prone to failures even when not taking the RROD defects into account." FAIL!

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
The headline is kind of a "no sh**" statement. Of coarse newer xbox's will be more reliable than their older generations. Thats the case with almost all products/sejavascript:%20void(0);rvices/goods.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
"Overall, over the last couple of years, the Xbox 360 is still most prone to failures even when not taking the RROD defects into account."

Considering how the XBOX is the console being ran more often than the other consoles, that statistic is about right. If I don't turn on my PS3, how is it going to fail on me? Or has it already failed???

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Woops, sorry bout the previous post, I accidentally dragged the submit button into the text box producing this javascript:%20void(0);

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wasn't it the president of RIM (makers of blackberry) who basically said hardware is going to follow software in the whole "release a beta, identify major issues, fix issues and re-release"? Microsoft is a software company, and the history of said software shows they rarely get things right on the first (or any) try. Microsoft saw how successful the PS2 was by releasing early, and wanted to scoop the PS3 and Wii. In the end they just rushed an un-finished product out the door that was outsold by the Wii anyway.

I wonder how much more money Microsoft plans to lose before they just give up on the home console market.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I probably say this to my near-future detriment, but I have not really had a problem with my Xbox 360. I have had a few games freeze(most being rented games, if I remember correctly), but a reset usually fixed this and it never occurred again(for that particular game).

I have had my Xbox since the early Fall of 2008 and have traveled with the Xbox quite a lot. I have used my Xbox at least 500 to 600 hours and used it for more than 12 hours at a time(playing games and watching DVDs/streaming video). While I may not be a "hardcore" user of this device, I must say that I have had a very enjoyable experience with the device thus far.

OF course, as I said, this is probably said to my detriment. I will probably turn it on tomorrow and get hit with the RRoD.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
One thing I wanted to add: Have those failure rates been juxtaposed to the sales numbers of the devices? Could it be that there are higher recorded rates of failure for the Xbox 360 due to it being more popular? Could it also be that the Wii is a lower rate of failure due to it being a shit system and only gaming noobs use it enough to even approach the devices failure threshold?

I want to see all the numbers before a judgment is made on whether or not the Xbox 360 is truly a failure.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]One thing I wanted to add: Have those failure rates been juxtaposed to the sales numbers of the devices? Could it be that there are higher recorded rates of failure for the Xbox 360 due to it being more popular? Could it also be that the Wii is a lower rate of failure due to it being a shit system and only gaming noobs use it enough to even approach the devices failure threshold?I want to see all the numbers before a judgment is made on whether or not the Xbox 360 is truly a failure.[/citation]

umm nope. everyone i know who has a 360 has always said they have had to have it replaced or failed on them. the PS3 had only big blu-ray drive issues at launch and has now improved and has a very low failure rate and have rarely heard of any Nintendo wii failures

last gen the PS2 had a notably high failiure rate with its DVD drives but never heard about them in the news

the 360 is only popular because microsoft has the ability to give blank cheques to the developers so they get the exclusives.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
@montezuma
"Have those failure rates been juxtaposed to the sales numbers of the devices?"
Do you know the definition of rate? It is a percentage. The unofficial figure that MS isn't disputing for fear of disclosing a higher one is like 51%. Now you multiply that up by the number of machines.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
At least MS learned a strong lesson here and the next XBOX will be rock solid, you can pretty much guarantee that. Like the Vista lesson, Win 7 and next XBOX will come and make up for all past sins.

Sometimes it takes a strong kick in the ass to wake a large company like MS up from it's relaxation. The Google competition will also wake MS the f**k up, I'd be afraid if I was Google. What MS did with Bing in little time was impressive, I don't even use Google anymore.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]The PS3 has problems with the blue ray drive, but it's just not as common as the XBox 360's failure rate.[/citation]
I don't think there is any comparison between the PS3 and the 360's 50% failure rate.
To Be frank i have never heard of anyone with a PS3 hardware issue...

Believe me, I am not a PS3 fanboy. There is no question the PS3 is built better then 360, these units are not comparable when referring to hardware.

Sure there are 30 million 360's and only 20mil PS3's but the ring of death affected 15 million units...1/2! How many PS3 hardware issues have there been?

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]My Nintendo still works from 24 years ago, I just have to keep blowing on the cartridges...[/citation]

so does mine, and my atari 2600, 4800, 5200, 7200, colecovision, intelivision, sega master system....they dont make em like they used to

captaincharisma

Distinguished
all my consoles i have recieved from atari 2600 to now have not failed on me. my SNES even fell off of a high TV set and still worked even thought the front of it got a chip of plastic taken out of it

My NES still works but the spring is worn out so you have to stuff another cartrige on top of it when you click it down for it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.