Report: OLEDs Will Create $11 Billion Market in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
yea, apple doing anything for a common good. that was a great laugh.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]maybe, seems to coincide with what Intel's saying about the rise of high def displays...[/citation]

i hope not, i want my monitors at about 75-100 ppi, 180+ like they suggest is for phones where its closer than 3 feet away from your face.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
why don't these guys expect some stuff for 2013

maybe because when time passes people will forget if things didn't meet their expectations

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]go ahead waste your money on these POS and overpriced displays....where are the good old CRT monitors[/citation]
Seeing as supply is so low on CRTs now the prices for them are retarded. Not quite as bad as if you tried to buy a OLED, but don't act like you can buy a good CRT now for way less then a decent sized LCD monitor. 21'' syncmasters go for like $350+. For that price you can get 23'' 120hz monitors and IPS screens for that range.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Disclaimer: I do not hate apple nor do i like them, I'm actually partial to Win Phone :) but Apples 27" monitor at 2560-by-1440 is one heck of a display. CRT and LCD got nothing on that display, its just gorgeous....and it better freakin be at $1K lol

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
While LG is pricing their set rather high, Samsung has publicly stated that their 55" will have a price only slightly higher than their premium LCDs.

Rumors are that Samsung's 55" OLED will be available in August.And they have also stated that they will be releasing smaller sets, too.

With Panasonic, Sony, and AUO all having announced they are joining the OLED revolution, I expect that the market may get significantly bigger at a pace much quicker than analysts expect.

With all that competition, there will be price wars, and I see this as a good thing for the consumer.

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]go ahead waste your money on these POS and overpriced displays....where are the good old CRT monitors[/citation]
;) CRT does have a better color gamut than LCD and is, being an emissive technology, in theory capable of producing a better picture than LCD, however, OLED will easily compete with CRT for color gamut, size, and weight. The days of a huge glass behemoth producing our TV pictures are over, and I for one, am happy to see them go. Perhaps the only technologies that were similar and better than CRT are FED and SED. SED was killed in a patent dispute, and Canon, who was working on SED, dropped it due to "missing the market."

maserda

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Never say never, there is always something to try.
kv.gif

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Samsung's 55-inch OLED TV slated for an April 2012 launch will cost around $7,900 USD.

Well, the first LCD bigscreen was something like $13000, so I guess this is an improvement.

Aside from price, there is still the problem of reliability of blue LED's. they don't last as long as red or green ones, so these screens are going to start turning yellow eventually.

Perhaps the only technologies that were similar and better than CRT are FED and SED. SED was killed in a patent dispute, and Canon, who was working on SED, dropped it due to "missing the market."

FED and SED generate light and color with phosphors, the same way a CRT does, but they don't need the huge CRT neck to do it. They would have the same color quality as the best CRT, but be the size of an LCD.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i hope not, i want my monitors at about 75-100 ppi, 180+ like they suggest is for phones where its closer than 3 feet away from your face.[/citation]

Your monitor is three feet from your face? You are doing it wrong.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I should be in the market for a new TV by 2015 or so. Hopefully I can pick up a 70" OLED for a reasonable price. Even better would be a higher resolution. 1080P on a 70" display just doesn't look that great. Still, bigger is better.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Samsung's 55-inch OLED TV slated for an April 2012 launch will cost around $7,900 USD

@Kevin Parrish - This is incorrect. This should read - "LG's 55-inch OLED TV slated for an April 2012 launch will cost around $7,900 USD"
See this - http://www.slashgear.com/lg-55-inch-oled-tv-tipped-at-7900-27220161/

Samsung has not yet revealed exact pricing on their 55" - however - see my post above. Samsung has publicly stated it will be much less than $8,000.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dotaloc[/nom]Your monitor is three feet from your face? You are doing it wrong.[/citation]

im sitting in a chair, infront of a computer... im confused, you think im to far away or not close enough?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Sony, LG, and Samsung, the three biggest eastern electronics manufactures have been pouring in millions to billions in screen technology for the past decade. They probably expect to get paid.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]im sitting in a chair, infront of a computer... im confused, you think im to far away or not close enough?[/citation]
I was mostly referencing the popular "you are holding it wrong" apple declaration. And, mostly joking. I just did a quick search and the first couple of things I read said that recommended viewing distance for a monitor is the area of conversion (where your eyes are not strained to come together) which was ~30" in one article and closer to your viewing distance in another.

So, it sounds like I (average viewing distance of ~2' to 2.5') am really doing it wrong. Of course, there were plenty of provisos saying that younger folks have a much closer convergence without strain than older folks would.

Regardless, quality should increase (less likely to differentiate pixels) the further a monitor is away. So, at 3', you would probably be happier with a lower resolution (often, cheaper) monitor than I would at my normal viewing distance.

In short, sorry I said you were wrong. I was mostly joking, but your question made me learn something and I'd imagine you are viewing at the distance you are for a good reason! Enjoy.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Sony is working on crystal led it will have better quality than OLED at a lower price, seeing that the display is much easier to manufacture it will out sell OLED.

Status
Not open for further replies.