Report: RIM Ditches New PlayBook for New 'Superphone'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
To be honest, RIM did not plan their Playbook to appeal to the consumer market. They are conflicted on which environment they should focus on.

The Playbook is a huge disaster for them and has drained them of resources.

That sucks considering the form factor alone and screen is fairly decent.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think it was a foolish choice on their part. It would not have taken much more work to scale the PlayBook up three inches.

Also, it doesn't help that most tech writers and reviewers simply scoff at the first mention of the name BlackBerry. Of course they're the same old biased writers that consistently praise iOS/Android/whatever.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dodoman[/nom]Superphone????What is superphone![/citation]
It means that it will slow down if you place a kryptonite beside it.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
If RIM would focus on not letting BIS go down for hours or days at a time, maybe they could retain users. All the innovation, shine, and 'toy' appeal from iOS and Android aside, do you know how often either platform has had a system-wide outage? Oh, about *never*. For a company that supposedly understands the enterprise, RIM sure doesn't act like one. This alone was enough to convince me to switch away from BB and on to better and more reliable devices.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
That company is run by idiots who actually think people will buy a product thats over priced and has very little software functionality compared to other cheaper products.

also randomly switching OS is a good way to ensure that no one develops apps for your OS

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]That company is run by idiots who actually think people will buy a product thats over priced and has very little software functionality compared to other cheaper products.also randomly switching OS is a good way to ensure that no one develops apps for your OS[/citation]

I agree with everything but the switching the OS. There are no developers for Blackberry OS now. So instead of 3 apps we might have 2.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
All these braindead hardware companies rush half baked tablets to market, and then are surprised when they fail. Then the press whines that tablets are an apple phenomenon exclusively, because the ipad is the only successful one, ignoring the fact that it's the only one that had more than 90 days of design and development.

A tablet as a workflow device has dubious value, but I can see the appeal of it as a web browsing device for the coffee table or the bedroom, and I think they have a future in that market. They just need to be well designed, and a hell of a lot cheaper than they are now.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I work in IT and have Ipad2s, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab and Playbook here at work. Guess which one was returned to me and is sitting in the drawer. The Playbook.

It, like everything else RIM does...is way late to the game. It's half useless if you dont have a BB phone. And even then, it falls short in many areas.

I just can't believe the fanboys on the crackberry.com forums. They keep praising that everything will be so much better this summer. Too late for that. They are so blind and clueless.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
How is RIM even still around? Does corporate America really pay the bills for them? If so how much longer is that going to last? I have seen way too many places move away from BB recently. Either to an Android or Microsoft device.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Really? You've seen places move away from BB for Android/MS devices? The BB is still far superior to any other device for email interface and typing, which is primarily what businesses want.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]How is RIM even still around?[/citation]
Three reasons:
1) Security
2) Security
3) Security

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
RIM's Blackberry Enterprise Server is what keeps them going. The only smart move they've made, is that they announced it will support Android/Apple devices in the future. This seals continued business with corporate and government markets.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
RIM’s PlayBook wasn’t a success because it missed many functionalities that BlackBerry devices have, so it’s interesting to see what will RIM offer in the second half of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.