Report: Tegra 2 Motorola ATRIX to Launch March 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I bet the docking station will cost $300+ by itself, even though it's basically just a screen and a battery.

I wonder how the battery life will be, it's going to be one hell of a powerful device.

Maybe x86 should just die and everything switch over to ARM. Isn't it more efficient than x86 anyway?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
although i feel as if the phone is superior to many phones on the market, the docking station still seems to be in its infancy

i will wait until it ages a little more and we can see some real damage being done with it... how bout a phone that docks into a larger tablet pc, AND notebook? that would be one hell of a device id be ready to shell out money for... just promise me a smooth, lag free UI

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]guanyu210379[/nom]ATRIX is the most powerful new smartphone that has been introduced in CES 2011.Let see about the battery stamina of this thing.[/citation]
I don't think so, The LG Optimus X2 and the LG Optimus Black also use the Tegra 2 chipset and dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 which should be at least as powerful as the circuitry in the Atrix.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
This is the most awesome thing I've seen in a long time, I really hope this catches on and a whole slew of phones get this type of functionality in the next couple years. I can easily see this being the future of computing for most people that don't need the huge performance of a dedicated desktop computer.

iphone girl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]I don't think so, The LG Optimus X2 and the LG Optimus Black also use the Tegra 2 chipset and dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 which should be at least as powerful as the circuitry in the Atrix.[/citation]
Except they have half the ram as the motorola and using DDR instead of DDR2. Plus there have already been Quandrant benchmarks showing the Atrix as the most powerful. On top of that those phones aren't even qHD or 24-bit color screens.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]iphone girl[/nom]... On top of that those phones aren't even qHD or 24-bit color screens.[/citation] It may not have as high a resolution as the ATRIX but all specs I've seen indicates that it is a 16M IPS screen, i.e. it supports 24-bit colors. Further the specs say that it comes with 8GB built in memory. Whether it is onboard or in the CF/SD slot is something I don't know. If Motorola is better then congrats to them. However at present I'm a bit wary of Motorolas products as they actively have put effort to deter people from flashing the firmware on prior models (such as the droid) either with linux homebrews or newer versions of Android. If there will be no support for the phone with firmware updates then I see no point in getting it. I cannot support this kind of market philosophy leaving customers in the dark once the product is bought,

G

A little dock with a few USB ports and a HDMI port would be the perfect replacement for a HTPC...
You could still call and receive voice and video calls since the screen would be shown on the big LCD. It would be kinda perfect.

carlostk1

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The price of any new product will be lower the longer you wait. Those who pay a premium price want the phone right away. I paid full price for my Samsung Captivate because I wanted it as soon as it was released. I'll do the same when the ATRIX is released. But I'll definitely wait on the docking station. This thing is basically a portable screen in a shell no bigger than a netbook. There is no way I'm going to shell out $300 for it (If that's the MSRP). I'll wait until the docking station hits $150 because even that's a lot to pay for something that is basically an empty netbook.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Wish it was on Verizon. This thing is amazing. I would actually use it as a netbook a LOT. Would replace my laptop entirely for doing client notes on the go, and I imagine the price of the dock/phone combo will be reasonably subsidized within the scope of a 2 year contract.

Too bad it's on AT&T. This makes the iPhone look like a child's plaything.

Status
Not open for further replies.