Report: Verizon Getting iPhone This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I'm due for an upgrade but probably won't get an iPhone simply because verizon will make me get a data plan and I don't need one. Why cant they sell you a phone that connects to wifi and not make you get a data plan? They have a few, but not the good ones!!

G

Hmm... would I rather have an iPhone on AT&T's network that may be slightly faster, but doesn't have 3G within 90 miles of me, or Verizon, who is apparently slower, but has 3G not only where I live, but miles from civilization where I camp, and AT&T doesn't even have phone coverage? That's a tough one... Plus the 2.4 Mbps I get from Verizon's 3G is more than acceptable. gayT&T can eat it.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]shortbus25[/nom]I'm due for an upgrade but probably won't get an iPhone simply because verizon will make me get a data plan and I don't need one. Why cant they sell you a phone that connects to wifi and not make you get a data plan? They have a few, but not the good ones!![/citation]
You can do that now....they just will not subsidize the phone for you. You have to buy off contract at full price and just not get data. This cost more upfront but is still cheaper than having data for the 2 years of the phone so if it is what you want, go for it!

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
What a joke. I switched from AT&T iPhone 3GS to Verizon and got a DROID X and it's a much better phone. And don't talk about speed, wherever I go my Verizon is faster than anyone who has AT&T. Most people get 1Mb/s or so with AT&T and I get up to 2Mb/s with 3G and these aren't even big cities, we're talking small towns. The Androids are taking over.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
You forgot a critical piece of info. Apple bloggers who have nothing to do with Verizon are invited, and Gizmodo is not, despite their claims that they are friendly with Verizon. Still, it's just 24 hours of wait.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]You can do that now....they just will not subsidize the phone for you. You have to buy off contract at full price and just not get data. This cost more upfront but is still cheaper than having data for the 2 years of the phone so if it is what you want, go for it![/citation]

Oh, I WISH you were correct, but you are not. I had an out of contract brand new android phone sitting here at home and decided to activate it for the wife. Verizon WILL NOT let you activate it on their locked down CDMA network without adding a minimum of the $15/month data plan. Even when you're out of the 2 year contract of your device and have most definitely paid off any of their subsidies, you STILL have to pay for data if you have a modern smartphone.

And this should be ILLEGAL. If you own the device outright, and just want to use it as a phone/planner, you should be able to. I totally agree with attaching a two year contract of extra data fees to subsidize a more expensive device. But if you buy it outright, or pay it off over the course of your contract, you should be able to put whatever plan on it you want. That's one thing I HATE about CDMA networks.

We sit here and watch the FCC crack down on internet service providers all across the nation, meanwhile the most heinous gougers (wireless telecoms) somehow magically remain exempt.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]shortbus25[/nom]I'm due for an upgrade but probably won't get an iPhone simply because verizon will make me get a data plan and I don't need one. Why cant they sell you a phone that connects to wifi and not make you get a data plan? They have a few, but not the good ones!![/citation]This makes no sense to me why have a phone that can do it but not use it, how inconveinient having to go somewhere there is wifi. My 2 cents you dont have to agree.

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TheZander[/nom]Oh, I WISH you were correct, but you are not. I had an out of contract brand new android phone sitting here at home and decided to activate it for the wife. Verizon WILL NOT let you activate it on their locked down CDMA network without adding a minimum of the $15/month data plan. Even when you're out of the 2 year contract of your device and have most definitely paid off any of their subsidies, you STILL have to pay for data if you have a modern smartphone. And this should be ILLEGAL. If you own the device outright, and just want to use it as a phone/planner, you should be able to. I totally agree with attaching a two year contract of extra data fees to subsidize a more expensive device. But if you buy it outright, or pay it off over the course of your contract, you should be able to put whatever plan on it you want. That's one thing I HATE about CDMA networks. We sit here and watch the FCC crack down on internet service providers all across the nation, meanwhile the most heinous gougers (wireless telecoms) somehow magically remain exempt.[/citation]

Thank you! Verizon is so full of crap making you get the data plan at extra cost I have a smartphone now and got it before this new generation of smartphones back when you didn't have to have a data plan. It doesn't connect to wifi but has a lot of great features that I do use without data. "yet everytime I get a picture message I get charged a data rate but never more than 1 or 2 bucks...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]shortbus25[/nom]Thank you! Verizon is so full of crap making you get the data plan at extra cost I have a smartphone now and got it before this new generation of smartphones back when you didn't have to have a data plan. It doesn't connect to wifi but has a lot of great features that I do use without data. "yet everytime I get a picture message I get charged a data rate but never more than 1 or 2 bucks...[/citation]

What exactly are you going to do with a smart phone that doesn't do email or internet? And honestly i don't really remember any smart phones from way back other then the blackberry phones and they also required their data plan. Though it would be nice if you could drop the data plan in a hard month or two to save a little money until you can afford it again. but the last time i checked there weren't wifi box's every 100 feet all over the city and since it is a mobile phone whats the point in even being tied down to one.

Not sure why you get charged for picture messages. I have had verizon for almost a decade and have never been charged for a mms or sms . Unless someone didn't send it as either a mms or sms and i had to download it for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.