Report: Verizon Killing Unlimited Data Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomroger

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Way to take a step backwards. "Welcome to 4G. You'll get your data faster, but not nearly as much of it." There's no point in upgrading to 4G when people can't even use it like they want to/should be able to.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I have unlimited everything plan except voice with Sprint and loving it.

However, it's typical for competitors to follow suit to keep up with the market trends. Hopefully Sprint won't drop unlimited data plans but if they do it's because that is what other carriers are doing.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Whats the point of 4g then? It is supposed to faster thus allowing more data transfer such as streaming or even downloads. Now depending on the packages we may not be able to do that or be very limited. I mean its not like we aren't pay enough already for our phones. I pay more for my cellphone contract then I for my internet.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
why would they want to follow in at&t's footsteps like this? them keeping unlimited data is just one more thing that makes them better than them. ridiculously evil cellular companies I tell ya..

rumblepuff

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Its interesting that all the companies say that this won't affect their customers. They say only 1-2 % of the people will pay more and they rest will pay less. How is that possible? If that's the case, these companies would be losing lots of revenue. Then again, I don't have data or text message on my phone, what's that... I can send email for 10 dollars per phone? No thanks, I will call.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
ok my big issue here is this... If from what I have seen from other users and poster on other sites, it's near impossible to hit 5GB's in a month on your phone (unless you are plugged in all day and doing nothing but streaming video and then you can come closer to 10GB's). So I must assume with these numbers that what is over clogging the system isn't the amount a data users uses but the amount of users using data(ok a little confusing). So then taking away unlimited data plan isn't really hurting 99% of the users, which begs the bigger question of why then do they want to take away that plan and introduce a tiered plan? If what I am seeing in the numbers, nothing is going to help unclog the network except for them to stop over selling the bandwidth!!!!! With over $10B in profits per year you would think this wouldn't be a problem for them to keep pace with.

G

All the prepaid companies need is an Android phone, and they will rule the unlimited market.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
But are they going to force the top plan on smartphone buyers like they currently are? Even if those users do not need that much data?

All of the 3G smartphones contracted with Verizon HAVE to get the Unlimited plan at the momemt....and I don't see them letting us pay less for virtually the same service (as even 5GB is more than enough)

johnnylawman01

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Don't like .... don't get it.

People, resources are ALWAYS limited. You want unlimited....you pay for it. Stop expecting others to subsidize your behavior.

damiano13mg

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Poor consumers. It seems there will be no relief this time, especially since now they want to carry iPhones, they need to stoop down to AT&T's level and deliver a crappy deal for the rest of "the network" Thanks Verizon. But since the iPhone4 cant make calls, you wont use your minutes up, so charging for data ala carte would be the best way to make $.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Those threatening to leave Verizon: Sprint and T-Mobile will have no choice but to do the same. When AT&T announced the plans it was only a matter of time before the competition followed suit.

onekill

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
You kids are funny. First you guys go ripping on AT&T and how bad they are and say "Oh, Verizon is SO much better then AT&T" Now you guys are saying "Oh, Verizon is so bad, Sprint is SO much better then Verizon OR AT&T" Whats next? "Having NO phone is better then Verizon, AT&T and the failure of a network Sprint."

Immoral Medic

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Sprint will most likely follow suit. Part of it is because they can get way more money for less data traffic, another part is because the networks are too full of traffic so they must limit the amount. I just don't care about smart phones so, ima stay with my "phone".

Status
Not open for further replies.