Question Requesting help with low CPU speeds when under load

Dec 29, 2020
My question is about a HP OMEN 15 gaming laptop. I've had it for less than a year and I'm experiencing massive FPS drops from around 100 to 20-30 fps in games when playing for less than an hour. This only happens in generally taxing games where the computer is clearly under a big load like Rust, star wars battlefront 2, shadow of the tomb raider etc all on ultra to medium settings. I check task manager each time it happens and my CPU speed is at 0.78GHz every time. I can leave the laptop idle for a few minutes and It'll be back at around 4.0GHz, running the game at 100FPS again but it'll happen again soon after.

The spec is:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 - 10750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz
16 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I have looked at my power plan. Minimum and maximum processor power states are set to 100% while plugged in as well as on battery.
My laptop seems to be sufficiently cooled - I initially though that it was just overheating so started using a good cooling tray. It doesn't get hot anymore so that can't be the problem.
In case this is relevant or important, I have Norton Utilities Premium installed and I use the features that unparks/ maximises cores and enables fast write amongst other things. I have thought that it could be clashing with the OMEN command centre performance control but I have no idea about that. Maybe you could give me some insight.
Some people elsewhere have mentioned disabling steam and discord overlays and that didn't seem to do much.
I've seen a similar thread where a guy needs help with the same laptop as me but he had a more specific question that didn't apply to me.
I reckon I have the spec to run these games on high settings so I'm hoping that there's a fix that just involves tweaking some settings. Let me know if I've missed any critical information. I really need a fix for this. Thank you :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 1
I Laptop General Discussion 2
P Laptop General Discussion 2
P Laptop General Discussion 1
FarNerdy Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 4
M Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 2
R Laptop General Discussion 4